Crazy question about Natural Gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offroadaudio

Hearth Supporter
Anybody know how it is gathered? I have 64 acres in PA - just had a crazy thought that I might be able to extract my own.
-without blowing myself up.........
What is the process on the large scale and might it be simplified and scaled down like a small oil rig or micro hydro?

Thanks

Well I found this on Wiki:

Natural gas is often informally referred to as simply gas, especially when compared to other energy sources such as electricity. Before natural gas can be used as a fuel, it must undergo extensive processing to remove almost all materials other than methane. The by-products of that processing include ethane, propane, butanes, pentanes and higher molecular weight hydrocarbons, elemental sulfur, and sometimes helium and nitrogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.