Crossbow advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
michigan has recently decided that anyone can use crossbows for hunting. I'm thinking about getting into it but I don't know anything about them. wondering if there is anyone out there that does have some experience and could give me some advice on good name brands, features on the crossbow that are good to have, things to avoid. I noticed that some of them basically look like a compound bow put on its side... others have very short limbs... which is better ?

I have a Horton Yukon XL 150 lb draw. I could have spent an extra $500 on a Ten Point crossbow like my buddy but I'll be damned if my bow doesn't kill deer just as well.

Here are my experiences with changing from compound to crossbow (which I did about 7 years ago):

1. The crossbow is LOUD! Sounds like two 2x4's getting slapped together. You can quiet it down some but it is a lot louder.
2. My crossbow shoots pretty much flat from 0-30 yards. Over 30 yards it drops like a rock. Anything over thirty yards is an iffy shot anyway since they may jump the string.
3. Crossbow hits HARD. I've never used mechanicals with it. 3 blade muzzys have punched right through ribs on both sides many times.
4. I got a red dot scope for mine. Given that a 30 yard shot is essentially the same aiming point as a 10 yard shot there is no need for pins.
5. Way, way, way more accurate and consistently so for me. I never shoot at the same target twice with my crossbow, ruined too many bolts hitting the same spot twice.
6. Definitely go to a store and pull one, you may want to get a cocking aid (especially for target practice)

In Ohio we have been able to use crossbows for a long time, everyone I know who has tried one more than once or twice has eventually switched from their compound. if you can shoot a rifle you can shoot a crossbow.

I bought a Horton crossbow from my local big box sports store to shoot deer in my yard. Like onion mentions, you can pay a lot more and it is easy to get caught up in the escalating cost by comparing models. The deer in my yard stopped coming by the day I bought the darn thing so it has hung on my garage wall for years now and gathering dust. I keep it thinking I will start using it one day (yeah, right!)

Status
Not open for further replies.