CT EAB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Was driving through middle of CT yesterday and couldn’t help but notice the amount of standing EAB infected ash trees. The ash borer has been in CT for some time, but the sheer amount I saw that was infected was staggering. While the firewood is good, it’s a very sad situation.

I been cutting up a tree that blew over in the tornado last year in CT. The bark is popping off and there is a ton of larva. I even got some almost full beetles that were preserved by the freezing temps. Love the wood to burn, scared about what other trees on my property that will eventually need to come down, or will come down on their own.

I haven't seen a live ash tree over 6" diameter here in PA for a few years now. And 3/4 of our hemlocks are dead. Next is the spotted lantern fly pretty soon we won't have much left.

Just curious anyone try killing larva with pesticides? If you season your wood it shouldn't have any residual pesticides on it when you go to burn. I wasn't sure if the typical permecetrin or similar pesticide would kill them.

Last edited:
Scattered here to in southern Mass but it wont be long. They wiped out Worcester to the north and now south of me, at least I'll have cheap firewood.

Mine here in Western VA finally got it. I saw trees 10 miles north affected 5 years ago, but it initially passed over my little creekbottom stand. The Pileateds are going to town on them.

Yup, it’s everywhere.

Must be country wide by now because I seen on news that city of springfield missouri is cutting a bunch in medians and near sidewalks because of this lil bigger. Wish I could get all the wood lol

It's just started here. All the White Ash will help me finally get ahead on my in-laws' three stoves I am feeding, but after that, no more Ash which is quite a loss, considering its quick seasoning, easy splitting and the fact that there's no pesky rotting sapwood like the Oaks have.
Itons of ash whose bark looks messed up due to the woodpeckers stripping the bark off to get the EAB. https://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/PublishingImages/WoodpeckerDamage.jpg
Thanks for the heads-up; I'll start looking for bark damage.

For the amount of Ash we have I would have 15 years worth of firewood if not more. Knock on wood we haven't had any EAB on our property or at least very little where other places around are hammered.

For the amount of Ash we have I would have 15 years worth of firewood if not more. Knock on wood we haven't had any EAB on our property or at least very little where other places around are hammered.
I hope they get it figured out (Parasitic wasps maybe?) before y'all get it.

The woodpeckers have been going nuts on the eab trees. The bark of the ash tree always looks yellow after they have run up and down it enough times.

Reactions: Chas0218