Curved Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SoCalstove

Feb 28, 2024
Inland Empire, CA
How can I replace the glass in our Double Star parlor stove in made in Taiwan?
A prior someone rigged it up with mesh & plexiglass. But, time for Glass!

image.jpg

Yes that looks like mica glass. There are a number of online sellers. Here's one.

Thank you, I’ll check it out…
Whatever it is, it has a wire mesh behind it.
Is that a part of it? I figured someone had just put that there since part of the flimsy stuff is melted.

Thank you, I’ll check it out…
Whatever it is, it has a wire mesh behind it.
Is that a part of it? I figured someone had just put that there since part of the flimsy stuff is melted.
Is it actually melted or is it broken

It's a wearing item and 35 yrs old. Replace it. Also, the screening behind it is supposed to be there.

Comes in various sizes. Cut with scissors to fit.

Mica is actually a cool material. Looks like it's artificial, but it's not - at least the bigger pieces of material are mined.
It is a natural layered ceramic.
(Nerd alert: some people even use very thin layers peeled off of it as a gate dielectric to make transistors.)

Its failure mode on a stove is to develop cracks in some layers that then delaminate, in this case due to thermal expansion and contraction cycles.
It needs protection as it can be a bit fragile (depending on the thickness), hence the screen.

If you have a toy microscope, it's interesting to look at, add a drop of water and see how that seeps into partially delaminated layers, etc.

It is actually a close relative to asbestos and frequently Mica was mined from the same mines as asbestos was.

what a difference 1D vs 2D makes...