Custom earplugs for woodworking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnhi77

Feb 28, 2021
Salt Lake City, UT
Hello, I have a hearing condition called hyperacusis and I've been looking for the best earplugs I can get for wood working and other tasks. I'm planning to make a small oak table for my porch but I avoid going out this time because I am a bit of a paranoid when it comes to getting COVID19. So... I just want to know if anyone here tried buying from this website? They are called Big Ear and they offer home service for molding your ears for custom hearing protection and then they'll mail the product within a few weeks. They also do have instructions for DIY molding where they'll send a molding kit then you'll mold your ears and send back the kit with the molds. Some of their products are really intriguing and of course, I'd love to know if anyone here tried their products yet.

They look like chewing gum here, am I right?

Any other recommendation?

Hello, I have a hearing condition called hyperacusis and I've been looking for the best earplugs I can get for wood working and other tasks. I'm planning to make a small oak table for my porch but I avoid going out this time because I am a bit of a paranoid when it comes to getting COVID19. So... I just want to know if anyone here tried buying from this website? They are called Big Ear and they offer home service for molding your ears for custom hearing protection and then they'll mail the product within a few weeks. They also do have instructions for DIY molding where they'll send a molding kit then you'll mold your ears and send back the kit with the molds. Some of their products are really intriguing and of course, I'd love to know if anyone here tried their products yet.

They look like chewing gum here, am I right?

Any other recommendation?

I work construction and many times in confined spaces I will use foam compression plugs and my high quality shooters earmuffs. Can't hear a thing with them on and don't have ringing in my ears after work.

If used properly the 3M foam plugs are hard to beat. I have large ear canals and standard plugs do not work well. I used them in papermills (very loud places) for 20 years and used to test power plants (very loud places) for 10 years. With some of the power plants I had to wear foam earplugs plus high decibel ear muffs on my hardhat. By federal law any employee that is potentially exposed to industrial noise is required to have baseline (upon employment) and post employment hearing tests although many employers ignore it. I know mine ignored the baseline test but I did insist on a post test and with the exception of typical reduction in age realted high frequency hearing loss, I had no evidence of industrial heating loss.

The key to putting them in is to know how to put them in and keep them clean. Even custom fit ones need to be kept clean so you need to buy multiple sets. The trick with the foam plugs is roll them with your clean fingers then reach over you head with one hand and lift up the opposite earlobe then slide the rolled up plug into the ear. Then wait several seconds until you can feel the plug expand and let go of the ear lobe. Now do the same with the other ear. I buy the ones with strings and throw them in the washing machine with clothes. Once they dry out I can use them again. You can buy a lot of foam plugs on Amazon for the price of a custom plug.

Last edited:
I think peakbagger is spot on. 3M Foamies are hard to beat and the key is proper usage. I have spent my career in a loud industrial space and I have protected my hearing using 3m foam plugs. I will ocasionaly double up foam earplugs with ear muffs if I am doing somthing like indoor shooting.

As mentioned before using clean hearing protection is very important and I wouldn't like the idea of being married to a single set long term.