Cuttin Time Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
A couple nights ago (at about 1:30AM) a huge limb fell off a monster white oak tree and blocked the dead end road I live on. This limb was the size of a tree (couldn't quite get through it with my 20" bar from one side).

My FIL and BIL who live on the "wrong" side of the limb had the saws blazin at 5:00AM so they could get to work. We all finished up the cleanup last night. I ended up getting about 2/3 cord out of it and they got about the same.

Anyway, I've had a little bit of an itch to get back in the woods for a while, but now I'm really looking forward to some more time rebuilding the wood pile. I'm down to about 17 cord c/s/s...better get after it.

Wow. That was some branch!!!. Yep 17 cords is a little slim with the winter we're going to have.:)

Reactions: red oak and Gark
"down to about 17 cords" .. heheh, that's an understatement if ever I heard one. We should all be so lucky. With that much wood from one limb, no wonder it fell.

We know what you had there. We too live on a dead end road so not only do we have to clean up some trees or limbs from time to time but the road commission thinks they don't have to ever do much work on a dead end road. So, we get stuck trying to keep holes filled. Right now on the corner there are 3 big holes. They graded a week ago and we thought they'd fill them. The never even went over them with the blade! Seems we have some new "leaders" on the county road commission and you can't tell them a thing. So, I wonder what it will be like this coming winter.... Naturally, our road usually is the last to get cleared.

Wow 1 1/4 cords outta one limb !!!! thats awesome musta been a 6 ft round oak tree with 2 ft limbs. Wish they grew that big here . :( ;lol

We know what you had there. We too live on a dead end road so not only do we have to clean up some trees or limbs from time to time but the road commission thinks they don't have to ever do much work on a dead end road. So, we get stuck trying to keep holes filled. Right now on the corner there are 3 big holes. They graded a week ago and we thought they'd fill them. The never even went over them with the blade! Seems we have some new "leaders" on the county road commission and you can't tell them a thing. So, I wonder what it will be like this coming winter.... Naturally, our road usually is the last to get cleared.

I live on a road like that too. Me and only 2 other houses. Plus I have a long driveway to navigate in the snow. But I don't mind as it gives me an excuse to stay at home by the fire when we get a lot of snow!

Wow 1 1/4 cords outta one limb !!!! thats awesome musta been a 6 ft round oak tree with 2 ft limbs. Wish they grew that big here . :( ;lol
It was about 5' DBH with a crown that has close to a 40' radius. Big tree.

Indeed it did. It already had a considerable amount of rot on the side opposite the limb breakage...this will only make things worse. I would offer to take the rest, but it is leaning precariously over a 1000 gallon propane tank. Before that limb broke off there was more than enough weight on one side of the tree to drop it safely into the yard. Now it is probably a $1K bucket truck job.

Yeah - I don't have any trees that big around here!
Really? I figured they would get just as big there, with your moderate climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.