Cutting bar oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muzzy

Dec 30, 2005
Do you guys cut your bar oil for winter use? I've not done alot of cutting in the winter with exception of some emergencey / maintanence stuff, but want to do a little cutting this winter. I've read my manual and it doesn't mention this at all. In my Oregon use booklet it says to cut 25% with diseal oil or Kerosene. It also says you can use a lighter weight oil. I've allways used poullan etc, but there is no weight specified.
Thanks,
Muzzy

I wouldn't cut it with anything. Once the saw warms up, the oil will flow just fine to the bar and chain. If it's cold enough to make a difference with the oil, in other words, it's too cold to be outside cutting wood. Apparently, you can get bar/chain oil in two weights: 20 and 30. I wasn't aware of that but my dad says he switches from the 30 to the 20 at about 20 degrees.

Not many people know it but there is a winter grade oil as eric mentioned, some companys call it "winter blend", some go by the "weight" as stated. I buy by the gallon and buy winter in the winter and regular in the summer

I do sometimes cut my left over summer oil, although I #1 only go mabye 10%-15% diesel and #2 I usually have diesel on hand, although home heating oil is the same thing.

All of my saws have manual type pumps as well as the auto oilers and I only cut the oil just enough so the manual pump will just pump it. One trick that works on some of my hotter running saws is to start the saw and run it up to operating temp then stop the saw letting it sit and soak in its own heat for 10min or so.

Ive also heard of guys who own the alaska type mills(portable board/lumber mills for chainsaws) to use straight 2cycle oil and bar oil cut with 2cycle for looong cuts or when using long bars and such. But at $5.00-$6.00 a pint for these oils Ill pass.

It was 35 degrees this weekend and the 2 hours or so I ran the saw, everything worked fine. Maybe a little less bar oil use than I can remember, but that might be my brain more than the oil use of my Husky.

Carpniels

MuckSavage said:
My brother in law uses his waste motor oil drained from his truck. (10w-30) I tell him it's too thin. What do you think?

Too thin? No

Lubricate properly? No

Harm the environment? Yes (can contain heavy metals, benzine, gasoline, MTBE, etc)

Harm the chainsaw? Yes (contains dirt, metal particles) which will tear up the oil pump and seals.

Tell him he's better off pouring the used oil on the ground :roll: and using regular bar oil for his saw, At $3.25 a gallon its cheap enough......

Status
Not open for further replies.