Cutting the trunk of a felled tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Whoever taught this man how to drive a wedge, needs to be fired.

I think I figured it out. If you look at when he puts his maul down at 1:25 and walks off he gives it away, Pretty obvious he's stoned on something.>>

I did manage to get the bar out, but I"m sure it's bent. The chain is still in there. I"m not sure why I thought I could cut this particular area without it pinching because the way the limb was, I knew it was going to. WTF? I actually had some cinder blocks nearby and was thinking of using them at some point to hold some areas, but I didn't' for this particular limb. No idea what I was thinking, but maybe it was God's way of telling me I need a few more pointers before I hurt myself, lol.

Cinder blocks would have kept it off of the ground, but you'd still have the problem of "rocking" your chain on one of those cinder blocks. Rocking means touching a rock or ground, rendering your chain very dull or FUBAR in an instant. Any wood placed under the trunk, including a half rotten limb, a few tree branches, some already processed firewood, etc., will keep your chain from being rocked.

Reading tension/compression can be tricky for even the most seasoned cutter. There are some more techniques that may help:

As already mentioned, a plastic wedge or three can get just about any saw out of a pinch or even prevent pinching if inserted at the right time.

As you cut, carefully watch the kerf for the first sign of closing/narrowing, and pull out as soon as you notice it.

Some will implement a slow, back-and-forth sawing motion while cutting. That is, act like the bar is a slow moving crosscut saw while the chain is cutting, and pull out when you feel the first bit of resistance. It can take some time to get the feel for this technique, and it can't be used in all circumstances.

As for the timberjack, use it to roll the log and elevate it at the same time. Many times simply rolling the log a little bit will open the kerf enough to free a chainsaw bar.

No plastic wedges? A long crowbar or preferably a long digging bar prying in the kerf works very well to open it temporarily to free the saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundchasm and Elle
Last edited:
ordered some wedges today. weekend project if it doesn't rain!

Plastic 'felling wedges" are available at Lowes, Home Depot, TSC, and many other places locally. Nothing too special about them. Any name brand like Oregon, Husqvarna, Stihl, Poulan, or Jonsered will do fine.

Reactions: Elle
I've made my own wedges on site from chunks of the tree. Anything that won't dull the chain will work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TreePointer
HI, I have a tree that fell during a storm. I can cut most of it I think without issue, though I think I might have to use a car jack or something because I did get my bar trapped in one spot, but...I'll figure that out-but suggestions welcomed. My big question is cutting the trunk. It's about 20 inches in diameter. What do I do when I get close to the ground. The trunk is on the ground and there is no way I see to raise it up. Do I just get as low as I can and use some swinging of an ax? I"m buying a new chain saw (caught bar was great excuse) and I don't want to do any damage. Would really hate to have to hire someone to cut that, but I will if I have to.

Thanks
You need to find a friend with a tractor and front end loader; wrap a chain and lift up and your saw is free. As far as the new saw is concerned, you definitely need a new one, the bar and the saw are custom fit at the factory. Trying to use another bar with your saw would be dangerous!!! Make sure your wife sees this post before she lets you go back into the woods with that dangerous saw!!;)

For cutting the last little bit on big wood on the ground, there's a few ways I keep my chain out of the dirt:

1) If the ground is fairly flat, finish the cut by setting the saw down flat on the ground. The bar will finish a little off the ground. Simple but not intuitive. Unless the tree is dug in, the cut will usually be close enough to done that you can kick/pry it apart easily.

2) Winch or cant hook the log/tree over and finish the cut from the top.

3) Cheat. Put your stumping chain on a second saw. Start all the bucking cuts with your big/good saw, then and finish all the cuts with the stump chain saw.

dont want to buy or carry a bunch of crap, i cut wedges, until you have some smaller pieces then it wont matter, cut half to 3/4 through and then cut back a few inches and meet the hole once you have a few all the way though you can move the tree

Here is a video for you to watch...take note of the use of the bucking wedges...this will keep your saw from getting pinched.Its not hard to do at all.

What kind of wood is that ?