Cycle time vs man power...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, I'll chime in, but then someone will kill the thread.

Jags is right and wrong. He is right that he has plenty of pressure but he is wrong to use a 3/8" hose on a machine whose entire point is to go fast, and don't forget Jags, heat is WASTE. Surplus Center sells most diameters of 2 wire hose in various lengths for very reasonable prices.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HHNC
Dune - the input to the cylinder is 3/8". The restriction exists no matter what hose I use.

The whole flow issue is absolutely relevant if I were running something like a hydraulic motor. Something that has no "end point" - it is dependent on flow and pressure. With a splitter the end point is wood split or ram stalled allowing the system to build full pressure. Pressure DROP is a non issue with this type of circuit (to a certain point).

Ah, the old resrticed cylinder port problem.

Ah, the old resrticed cylinder port problem.

And at a timed 8 second cycle time, the 3/8" hose doesn't seem to be much of a restriction at all. After a 45 min. HARD use session, the hoses were slightly warm to the touch.

That thing rocks. It actually has a cycle time of just under 10 seconds (full cycle). And if you don't need the full stroke you can be split and moving on in just a couple of seconds. Literally, it had us running to keep up.
10seconds! wow is that slow. Mine will loaf at 6 secs and do 4 if I through up the throttle. Other than bringing up more rounds I've found I work faster by myself. If I breaking easy rounds where I can limit the stroke it amazing how quick it is.

I bigger cylinder with lots of power makes more sense IMO with a multi split head to offset the slower speed in productivity.

Jags,

You are losing speed from flow restriction. But it sounds like your losses are acceptable ;)

You are not losing power because the wood stops the wedge and when the wedge stops the system flow is 0 GPM. Once that happens your pressure rises to max relief regardless of hose size. That's exactly what you see on your gauge. Once the flow increases (wood splits, ram retracts, etc.) then line size/restriction comes back into play. The more flow, the more line friction losses you will have at any given size.

A funny thing about that 3/8" inlet on the cylinder....

A short restriction like that doesn't have hardly any effect on flow compared to the long 3/8" hoses. You could put 1/2" hoses on it and you would still see a significant increase in flow regardless of the 3/8" port. It's called the Venturi effect. Bigger is better but I wouldn't let that 3/8" port stop you from upgrading to 1/2" hose if you so desired.

Of course if I had a 6'6" 300lb friend to help me, I'd skip all this hydraulic nonsense and just have him tear the rounds apart bare-handed. Much quicker. !!

You are not losing power because the wood stops the wedge and when the wedge stops the system flow is 0 GPM. Once that happens your pressure rises to max relief regardless of hose size. That's exactly what you see on your gauge. Once the flow increases (wood splits, ram retracts, etc.) then line size/restriction comes back into play. The more flow, the more line friction losses you will have at any given size.

This is EXACTLY the point I have been trying to make. The difference between flow and pressure. I have timed it, at 8.something seconds. Do the math on 16 gpm with a 16" stroke with a 3.5" cylinder and my restrictions (or reduced flow) actually appears to be affecting it by point something seconds. Acceptable in my book.

And Wkpoor - after viewing MANY of your posts I have to believe that you are overcompensating for something.;lol (just pulling your leg here, bud;))

Of course if I had a 6'6" 300lb friend to help me, I'd skip all this hydraulic nonsense and just have him tear the rounds apart bare-handed. Much quicker. !!

Oh, and up to this point we Monster Mauled the wood. That guy swings a monster maul, like I swing an 8 pounder.!!

10seconds! wow is that slow. Mine will loaf at 6 secs and do 4 if I through up the throttle.

Mechanical or hydro?

Jags, I see no flashing lights, nor flame thrower on "Zippy"...you mayhave a steam whistle on there somewheres that I cannot see, but this all is a bit disappointing to me. Without lights of flames passerbys may wander into the "restricted zone".....safety first and second sir....then, the cup holder.

When the engine starts the flashing yellow safety light extends on a telescoping pole. The cup holder unfolds and the stereo pops out from underneath. All very "James Bond-ish".

When the engine starts the flashing yellow safety light extends on a telescoping pole. The cup holder unfolds and the stereo pops out from underneath. All very "James Bond-ish".
schweet

And Wkpoor - after viewing MANY of your posts I have to believe that you are overcompensating for something.;lol (just pulling your leg here, bud;))
What can I say I like my chainsaws AND splitters fast heheheheh.

Status
Not open for further replies.