Damn its cold out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Either age is catching up or its been really cold. I tried to work outside yesterday and this morning each time hands and feet were
killing me. I came home to warn up to have another go at it. I mean it hurt to be out in it cold and the winds.
March does begin in a few hours? Using a lot of fire wood for sure.

It was well below zero again here this morning. If not for the wind, elk, I think the cold would be tolerable. But just a little breeze really puts a bite in the air. Not something to be trifled with.

Burn it if you got it.

i just want to know one thing.
why is it that my truck waited for the coldest day this year to break down.
that means i have to fix it or i don't work.

i think i should make my millions this way.
invent a torpedo heater that run's on wood.

Elk, age! I turned 40 a month ago, seems the temp feels 20 degrees colder now days. Hot potatos in the pockets work well, as does blackberry brandy dependent on what tools your using! 30's here in MN, can't argue.

elkimmeg said:
Either age is catching up or its been really cold. I tried to work outside yesterday and this morning each time hands and feet were
killing me. I came home to warn up to have another go at it. I mean it hurt to be out in it cold and the winds.
March does begin in a few hours? Using a lot of fire wood for sure.
I was "Mr. Tough Guy" when it came to cold weather, until about 2yrs. ago
when I spent several hours underneath my car replacing a starter. I was
unable to push it into my garage (too much slope), so I had to work on it
outside, in single digit weather w/ some wind chill. Got real Frost Bite on my
knuckles & decided that there were limitations on how much I could work
on my cars relative to the current weather conditions. Haven't felt as tough
about the cold since....

Rob

39 and I went out to the chicken coop, loaded the woodboxes (fish totes ROCK for moving wood around) put the recyclables and trash in my truck when I got home yesterday afternoon
Could not feel my fingertips when all was said and done and I want outside but 15 minutes tops
Wool/leather gloves right there in my truck but stupidity got the better of me and I left them there

The kids (3 and 1) LOVED the cold hands trick......... the wife, not so much
Daddy loved the fact that they had toasty little faces, necks and backs :)

Cold? What are you talking about? It is 72 in my house right now! ;-)
Gotta love my insert.

I like to come in after a few hours of being outside & putting my cold hands under one of my Labrador Retrievers as they sleep by the fire (yeah sure I know, dogs are equipped for the outside, but tell my wife that!)

COLD WEATHER?

60 above zero.  Floridians turn the heat on.  People in New England plant gardens.

50 above zero.  Californians shiver uncontrollably.  People in New England sunbathe.

40 above zero.  Italian and English cars won't start.  People in New England drive with the windows down.

32 above zero.  Distilled water freezes.  Moosehead Lake's water gets thicker.

20 above zero.  Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and hats.  People in New England throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero.  New York landlords finally turn on the heat. People in New England have the last cookout before it turns cold.

Zero.  People in Miami die - or return to Cuba.  New Englanders close the windows.

10 below zero.  Californians go to Mexico.  People in New England get out their Winter coats.

25 below zero.  Hollywood disintegrates.  Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero.  Washington DC runs out of hot air.  People in New England let the dogs sleep inside.

100 below zero.  Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.  People in New England get frustrated because "the caah won't staaht".

275 below zero.  All atomic motion stops.  (Absolute zero on the Kelvin scale).  People in New England finally stop saying "cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below zero.  Hell freezes over.  No one in New England is surprised because it explains why the Red Sox won the World Series.

Aye,
Marty

Albert Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves."

Excellent Marty, lol.

Wasnt too bad today -- sunny and 30 here in MI. Worked on my wifes car this weekend so I feel for you fbelec.

Hasn't been above 20 here for the past few days, but the wind chill has been way below zero. This is my time of the year to cut wood, as I'm too busy from April-November. My diesel tractor wasn't too happy about starting this morning at 3 degrees. I work outside all the time so the cold doesn't really bother me as long as I dress for it. Last few days has been long underwear, flannel pants, turtleneck, flannel shirt, insulated sweatshirt, along with chaps and liner for my hard hat. Much more than that and I get too sweaty and then really cold when I slow down. Been cutting on my father in laws land. Cut about 8 cord and cut/split/stacked it to 4' lengths. Have about another 10 cord of logs to do the same with. Nothing spectacular, but it keeps me in shape during the winter. Wish I could do more but between the kids, the honey-do lists, working home shows, and everybody else asking for something.............Oh well.
I keep forgetting to bring the camera, but maybe I can take some pictures of my little operation. I bring out the logs with a Farmi winch mounted on a tractor, cut the wood to 4', move it to the splitter, split it to 4' lengths, put it directly on a trailer, and then move it about a mile to my place and let it dry to sell next year.

i'd say pictures mark but i think a digital camera would have a stroke in that cold

fbelec said:
i'd say pictures mark but i think a digital camera would have a stroke in that cold

Thats the beauty of digital cameras, they really dont care about the cold...... no moving parts

Wow, we have had some wicked weather latley. Last week it didnt get out of the single digits with a low up here close to negative 25*. This week we are having record breaking highs. Yesterday it was almost 70*. Almost a 95 degree difference in 2 days. My drivway is like a ski slope with snow that stays there untill may. The warm weather turned it into a 8 inch slab of shiney ice. Im hoping we get some snow on top so i dont bust my butt out there. Im rambling.

When it snows here dylan, it realy snows. IF we get a 6-12 incher it will pack on top and make a new surface untill spring. LOL. I sanded this morning and then put some salt to pit the ice. Next time it snows those pits will keep it in place.

I run a little nitro rc truck out there. When there is a dusting of powder on the drive way its a blast. I have to admit that i have nearly cracked my skull severl times on that damn driveway. My drive is 450' long with a 40' drop in elevation to the garage. I have the biggest snowblower honda makes and still dont see my driveway from september to may. We run studs on both of our vehicles. To say the least we dont have much company this time of year. I think i am going to take my baby for her first snow shoe adventure today. I got one of those backpacks for christmas. Its to nice out to sit at home and hit the refresh on heathnet all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.