Damper and saving some wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
what do everyone recommend for stove top temp 500-700?
That's a decent range.
And +2 on closing down in steps...close maybe a 1/4, wait until flame stabilizes, do it over and again, until at the desired burn rate.
The last adjustment or two maybe only 1/8 closed, depending on how the fire responds to the adjustment.

I just had my last break in fire and to hold 450-500 the air intake was almost completely shut, this stove really wants to go to 600-700. I can't wait to let her run tomorrow and see what she can do.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I just had my last break in fire and to hold 450-500 the air intake was almost completely shut, this stove really wants to go to 600-700. I can't wait to let her run tomorrow and see what she can do.
Being a steel stove there is no real need to do a "break in burn"...now you will still get a paint curing smell every time you hit a new record high temp, just FYI

Being a steel stove there is no real need to do a "break in burn"...now you will still get a paint curing smell every time you hit a new record high temp, just FYI
I've read that and I honestly agree with it but I'm just doing it to be on the safe side, the stove instructions say to have a few small fires first.

Ya the paint smell it pretty bad tomorrow I'll bring it up to 700 and hold it there for some time and try not to go over that in the future.

It's very normal to run modern tube stoves closed all the way

Consider a flue probe. Flue temperature gives a more real time snapshot of what the fire is doing. On a reload my stt often runs 400 degree's (or more) behind the flue temperature. For now, observe what the fire is looking like. Probably start shutting down the air in increments when you start seeing secondaries.

Reactions: stoveliker
What kind of stove do you have?
Currently? A blaze king and a Fisher. Previously a regency. Before that a Cawley lemay before that a quadrafire before that a Lopi I think an Alaska before that.

But I work for customers who have many many different stoves. And have been helping people here for years.

Currently? A blaze king and a Fisher. Previously a regency. Before that a Cawley lemay before that a quadrafire before that a Lopi I think an Alaska before that
And that (plus his day job) is why it is smart to take note of his opinion.

Opinion, yes, but a well-informed one.

Reactions: bholler
He yelled at me alot in the beginning but lately has been pretty nice ;)
Because your first attempt at an install was very dangerous. This one you did properly. You just need to learn the stove now

Because your first attempt at an install was very dangerous. This one you did properly. You just need to learn the stove now
Ya for sure, it kinda acts like my kamado grill just a little but slower of a response time. I'm really looking forward to learning all about it.

Pissed I missed the canadian tax credit by 1%.

For a heat shield for 6" pipe do I use a 6" heat shield or a 7"?

I'm guessing it's 6" but seems if it's the same size it won't cover my 6"??

For a heat shield for 6" pipe do I use a 6" heat shield or a 7"?

I'm guessing it's 6" but seems if it's the same size it won't cover my 6"??
A piece of 8" would make a nice heat shield for a 6" pipe...1" the whole way around, perfect.

I've always used a damper in my stove pipe, in all my stoves throughout my almost 50 years of burning. in my opinion you can control the stove better, retain more heat in the box and the burn lasts longer. i burn well seasoned wood and don't have a creosote problem. i also clean my chimney at the beginning of season and normally about 1/2 way through. you don't close it off all the time, you use it to help regulate the draft and burn. not sure why there are so many negative comments about the damper and creosote.

Reactions: stoveliker
if possible, I think a regulation at the base of the stove is much better.
(I tested also damper)

Did you fix the ceiling support for your chimney inside?
No I'm going to leave it for a bit, when I put up plywood I'll try and trim it to fit better. My roof is going to need to be replaced in a year or two so I'll probably just replace the whole support kit. Buy another box, bring it down more and support it nice and clean.

20230401_134537.jpg
That was today 700 on the stove and 90 in the shed!!!!
20230401_140231.jpg