Damper lubrication

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rogerwood

Jan 7, 2021
Kansas
Hello helpful people. I recently installed a 2003 Lopi Liberty Woodstove. The damper on the bottom of the stove is difficult to move in and out. Is there some adjustment or lubrication I can give it so that it works more smoothly?

Graphite works well too. I've used it as powder and found it as a spray.

Reactions: nph3 and Rogerwood
I use anti seize. Wear disposable gloves. Someone else here posted this but it is so true...wear gloves, don't touch anything else, that stuff will be on the kids, dogs, your underwear before you know it. Its messy but the best there is.

Reactions: nph3
I had a lopi freedom insert and the intake air control used a silly spring loaded device. It made terrible racket when I was adjusting it all the time with all of the reloads. The bypass raid was super noisy to operate also. Woke up the babies!

I had a lopi freedom insert and the intake air control used a silly spring loaded device. It made terrible racket when I was adjusting it all the time with all of the reloads. The bypass raid was super noisy to operate also. Woke up the babies!
Short of getting rid of the stove, did you try anything to remedy the issue?

My bypass damper is nice, but the air control was a little gritty for my liking. I figure nothing that can’t be fixed.

I recently bought a Liberty and noticed it too was noisy and not as smooth as it should be.
High temp never-seize is awesome stuff, but with the air control lever I was leaning more towards a non-wet type lubricant like a spray graphite that will evaporate and leave things slick.