Dark Pellets or Light colored ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmelch1

Dec 7, 2010
Chesapeake City, MD
In general what have pellet (Guru's ) noticed about the actual pellet color , I thought I read in a past post that the darker the pellet ,the hotter the burn and less ash ?????, I bought a couple bags of Green Way and it was light colored, seemed like a lot more ash in the stove. It was at the Lowe's in Middletown ,De. for $187.00. The co-worker of mine who said the the Home Depot had Stove Chow must have had a clinker in his head !!!, They had Pennington for $187.00, and I've seen the Crappy reviews it gets. Thanks CE

Burning uncle jeds pine pellets and they are light colored, throw alot of heat and the ash is fine and minimal. Also burn the indeck pellets and this years are very dark, seems to be alot more ash and it looks dark/course. Still seem to throw the same amount of heat as last years indecks,just more ash. IMO,must be a difference in the raw materials used in this batch!

emmelch1 said:
In general what have pellet (Guru's ) noticed about the actual pellet color , I thought I read in a past post that the darker the pellet ,the hotter the burn and less ash ?????, I bought a couple bags of Green Way and it was light colored, seemed like a lot more ash in the stove. It was at the Lowe's in Middletown ,De. for $187.00. The co-worker of mine who said the the Home Depot had Stove Chow must have had a clinker in his head !!!, They had Pennington for $187.00, and I've seen the Crappy reviews it gets. Thanks CE

Pellet color is not a good indicator of heat....I've burned pellets that were both very light, and also very dark, and both gave good heat.

As for your co-worker, he may not have clinkers in his head.....the Home Depots up in this area have Stove Chows. Good pellet if you can find it down your way. Might be the "sleeper pellet" of the year, IMO.

[quote I'll try to catch up with Clinker Head and get the facts[/quote]

Good One !! LMAO :lol:

I just purchased a ton of Stove Chows and they work well, in fact, i purchase Hammers over the weekend and I like the Chows so much better. Woke up this morning and my upstairs was 85 degrees and 79 in the back bedrooms. I had the same setting on the stove all week and the Chows gave out so much better heat. Its 19 Degrees out right now and my Breckwell P22 is running at level 1 and the upstairs is nice and toasty. Highly recommend the Chows and at $187 they are even better

Hello

I have not seen Stove Chow around Salem NH since early last year!

All we have in town now is:

Freedom Fuel - Home Depot $3.74 per Bag - Just went on Sale
Maine's Choice - Lowe's $3.74 Per Bag
Nature's Heat - Walmart $5.00 per Bag
Logik-e - Dodge Grain $5.89 per Bag
Main Wood Pellets (MWP) - Dodge Grain $4.99 per Bag

http://www.dodgegrain.biz/WoodPellets.html

Attachments

• WPStoveChowSC.jpg
    WPStoveChowSC.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 520
Don2222 said:
Hello

I have not seen Stove Chow around Salem NH since early last year!

All we have in town now is:

Freedom Fuel - Home Depot $3.74 per Bag - Just went on Sale
Maine's Choice - Lowe's $3.74 Per Bag
Nature's Heat - Walmart $5.00 per Bag
Logik-e - Dodge Grain $5.89 per Bag
Main Wood Pellets (MWP) - Dodge Grain $4.99 per Bag

http://www.dodgegrain.biz/WoodPellets.html

Haverhill Lowes has had them this year. Was not impressed with them, just ok.

I would say smell is a better indicator of pellet quality. If it smells funny, They tend to burn dirty. Pellet color doesn't seem to have much effect. I have had both light and dark pellets burn both good or bad! IMHO there is only one way to tell whats good and that's to burn them in the stove. Measure heat and then ash(volume and weight) to see whats up with them.

I've picked up some batches of pellets that were actually aromatic, probably had cherry or something mixed in with other hardwoods or softwoods. Funky-smelling pellets sometimes mean they have been sitting around for awhile, or possibly a chemical binder was used which can result in a dirtier burn.

In my experience, the color of the pellets is not an indicator of how good they are
unless you are seeing some with blues, greens...etc. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.