Daytime reloads with pressed logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ReelOutdoorsman

Jan 2, 2023
NorCal
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but it's come up a lot on many Google searches as I've been learning how to use the TimberWolf EPI22 (1.9 ft3 fire box) that was already installed when we bought this house in Oct'20.

We've been working through wood the previous owners left behind, meaning even if it was green when we bought the house (which it didn't appear to be), it's definitely seasoned now. But some of it has gotten wet, and either way we're getting to the end of the line.

I've bought a couple compressed logs to try out and I may try a few more brands, but for now I really like the HomeFire Press Logs. It seems like I can get a great fire with 2 HFPLs and a big split. This morning that chugged along great peaking at 560 and raising the air temp about 4 degF. But I could use a little more, and I'm real nervous about overfiring with these fuel logs. They "coal" forever, but never really produce a coal bed, and those coals don't seem to throw the heat into the room in the same way cordwood coals do. If anyone is using these, what is your reload protocol? How long do you wait, and are you just adding one at a time?

The reload interval and quantity depend on how much heat is needed. It also depends on how large the hot coal bed is. In mild weather, 45º and foggy, one may be enough. In colder weather, an additional log may be needed.

I tried 3 on a large hot coal bed in our F400 and it was an aggressive fire for about an hour. The stove didn't overfire, but the stove top peaked at about 700º which is quite hot. From a cold start, 4 logs provided a more moderate fire with less drama.

The reload interval and quantity depend on how much heat is needed. It also depends on how large the hot coal bed is. In mild weather, 45º and foggy, one may be enough. In colder weather, an additional log may be needed.

I tried 3 on a large hot coal bed in our F400 and it was an aggressive fire for about an hour. The stove didn't overfire, but the stove top peaked at about 700º which is quite hot. From a cold start, 4 logs provided a more moderate fire with less drama.

Thanks. This helped quite a bit. I added 2 after the stove fell to the low 300s and that was great. I think I'm gaining a better understanding for the burn curve these undergo and where, based on stove temperature, I might add one or two.

I'm not sure I have a need for 4, even in a dead cold stove, but these days the insert is at least 150 on top every morning, so I won't have an opportunity to start in "dead cold" any time soon.