Dead Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a chance to get into the woods, getting wood off the ground that's been around a long time is a good bet. I always use a trailer or two full of this kind of stuff every year. I have a friend that is in the same spot as you, a new house and no seasoned wood. So last week I went to the woods and cut up a trailer full, about a half cord, of real dry stuff for him so burn now. Another tree to look for would be a Silver Maple. I've cut, split and dried these out in a few weeks and they burn good. And those were live trees. I know a lot of guys might disagree but I'm doing it right now.

Standing dead is usually pretty good wood. Might be a little bit punky but an inch or so of punk is like a built in firestarter. If it's dry it will help get the fire going quickly. But the punk can act like a sponge if it rains.

The tops of standing dead can be instantly ready to burn. I've had water run out of the trunks of trees I know have been dead for two years. So dead, virtually all the limbs have fallen off.

I suggest scrounging for everything you can pick up and carry to get wood for NOW and make note of the standing dead you can go back to cut down soon in preparation for the next year or two.

Reactions: Jacktheknife
Ok, I got the moisture meter, it is tested and ready. The old lady will take it and a can of chinese red spray paint and mark the good ones for me. Going out as soon as my brother is up and atom.

Didn't get too bad of a haul today, but I certainly wore the old lady out-- this was her first expedition and I don't think she realized what hard work it was. Here is a picture of the stove-ready pieces, I have several cedar rounds that still need chopped and some ash and maple limbs that need cut to length as well.

2012-12-08_16-41-25_874.jpg

Reactions: Thistle
Testing the outside of a log or other piece of wood isn't going to give you a true reading, you need to get into the inside of the piece of wood either at a fresh cut or on the split face of a fresh split piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.