Definitive Pacific Energy EBT test . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
karl said:
JM,
We need to know more about your set up. ...A lazy draft and short burn times.

It's not really contradictory: I have a lazy draft (six ft. total stove pipe, with one 45º and one 90º going into 8" wall hole, going into two zig zags in the chimney, and up a 12ft chimney, unlined, unless you call the oval, ceramic tile blocks "liner". Burnt wood remnants the next day are few, and nothing significant.)

But once the pipes and chimney warm up, the airflow is sufficient, except for re-loads:

With my previous VC Defiant Encore, for reloading and start-up I just opened the ash door a tiny bit, to add draft away from the door. With the PE I need to open the tiny ash trap door, for the same reason, but it's not quite enough to prevent smoke coming towards me when I open the glass door for loading.

But once we are fully in warming mode, the thermostat of the EBT stays open too much of the time and too far down in temperature, so the burn stays too hot and to fast, even at fully closed primary control.

Here is my temporary remedy, and it has helped: I crazy-glued a thin round metal plate, slightly larger than the opening, over the hole on the EBT unit, in essence bypassing its functions.

Result: same lazy draft at start-up (logical, as EBT is closed during that cycle), better control over amount of fire during regular (400-500º) heating operation, and same over-burn protection as with EBT (as EBT is also closed in that cycle) but now better down-regulation of the (fully adequate) primary control, resulting in about an hour longer burn times with the same type, cut and amount of wood as before.

What would be the ultimate: to adjust the EBT's thermostat-cam such that the EBT cold-rest is with its cam hitting the corner, at the 90º juncture between the two flap sides, so that, as the stove heats up, the cam moves on, and the flap closes fully up (overload position on the regular set-up) and as it gets to the very last coals, the flap opens all the way again, back to the cam in the corner, to burn them up.

What do you think?

By the way: I will not do any modification until the new, hopefully unwarped, door comes in, to see how much tighter the box will be.

In that case, I'd say it's more than likely an air leak through the door. When you get the new door, check all the gaskets and test her out.

Junior,

Note that the Summit requires a 6" chimney, so probably you'll need to line up your chimn. to solve all these anomalies.

Just ressurecting this one from the grave, since some newer members seem to be curious about the EBT on the Summit and Alderlea t6 stoves

I just did a similar test, starting from a cold stove, and using softwood. In my test, the EBT didn't open until 3 hours after being lit. It did finally open fully.
Results of my test can be seen here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70922/P22/#820469

It isn't as scientific, I didn't weigh the wood before I filled the stove. I used as much Poplar as would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.