Dell-Point Europa 75 - feed auger motor loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

You've owned a Dell-Point Europa 75 and it is still running?

• Total voters

Dan_Michigan

Nov 25, 2016
Michigan
Have used the Europa every winter since 2007 with really no issues. Once you have the right pellet--it likes a clean pellet, I use a softwood/hardwood mix from Michigan called Kirtland--it burns well. This year we have run into our first problem. The feed auger and motor are loose. The whole assembly spins and moves forward and back. I'm not sure what's wrong. It's not obvious to me looking at the motor housing where or how it was mounted. I think the problem might be something in the auger housing, but I'm not sure and I can't seem to get it to drop down (I took out the screws on either side of the housing, but the assembly does not come out).

If anyone can share pictures of their intact feed auger motor from inside the back panel, that'd be great. Or if anyone has experience with this problem, I'd love to hear some ideas. I'll try to attach a picture. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,028
Hello. I believe there should be a metal stop that was used to stop the auger motor from rotating all the way around. It usually had a piece of rubber or plastic on it to reduce noise. Should be a easy fix.

Thanks, papa. I ended up zip-stripping the motor against that post, holding it in place against the torque of rotation and allowing the auger to actually work, and it seems to be holding. But I'm at a loss as to how it was originally fastened. I found no hardware or parts on the ground, which makes me think it was held somehow inside the housing. I do see a retaining ring on the shaft of the feed auger, and I think that must have been part of the original solution that broke, but I can't see how yet. I was hoping someone with an intact feed auger could send me a picture or something. Anyway, it's running right now and seems to be doing okay with the zip-strips. We'll see how long it lasts.

Please, others who know something also keep commenting. I'm not sure how long my solution will last.

Have you solved your problem with the auger feed motor? I had to go out and look at our shop unit. Can't quite be sure yours is wired correctly. From years of use and selling 25+ units normally the feed motor will hang directly below the auger feed tube next to the stop and between the stop and the bracket that holds the vacuum switch. If there is no pellets in the hopper or feed tube the motor will hardly move when it turns the auger. There is no fastening of the auger shaft in the bushing, it is free to move upward but will only do so if pushed upward or if the feed motor leads are reversed which will make the DC run backwards and with the auger then pushes pellets down rather than up and forces the shaft and motor upward. The picture appears to show that the shaft is pushed partially upward. The top edge of the motor should just be even with the bottom of the large feed tube and bearing/bushing which is held in place by the two screws, (one can be seen in picture). What happens if the wire leads are reversed for a short time some pellets are pushed down and forces the auger up and forces the motor away from the stop. I would remove all pellets and the two screws that hold the bearing/bushing in and complete assy will fall down and out in your hands. (unless of course pellets are wedged in there) (in which case you need to force it out)

Thank-you for your reply, lowcostheat. The wires were not reversed, however, the feed motor assembly was rotated. My final solution was to zip-strip it in place--well, several zip-strips I may try to upload a picture--and this has seemed to work very well. Indeed, the whole thing feeds quieter than it has in years.

I appreciate your assistance. This is Year-10 with the Europa75 and I'm hoping to get a few more out of her. So far, just this problem and some ash augers (consumables) is it. I clean it weekly and have the process down to a science, including a bent spatula for the fins on the combustion motor. So far, so good.