Diameter and species druthers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Haha! I feel that will be the case. I was actually sitting here wondering if I couldn't find someone else locally that wanted to split the load with us. 10 cords seem more doable in a year's time, but there's nobody who will deliver under 20-ish.

Haha! I feel that will be the case. I was actually sitting here wondering if I couldn't find someone else locally that wanted to split the load with us. 10 cords seem more doable in a year's time, but there's nobody who will deliver under 20-ish.
You think about renting a processor for a day?

You think about renting a processor for a day?

...no...but that is not a half bad idea! I wonder where one goes to rent something like that? Excellent thought!

...no...but that is not a half bad idea! I wonder where one goes to rent something like that? Excellent thought!
Go to the DYNA processors website and you will be able to locate one there. They sell nationwide and one of the neat things about their dealerships is that they also rent them out by the day or weekend or week.you can pull one home with a pickup.

Reactions: Rusnakes
Go to the DYNA processors website and you will be able to locate one there. They sell nationwide and one of the neat things about their dealerships is that they also rent them out by the day or weekend or week.you can pull one home with a pickup.

That's a great idea. I looked DYNA processors up and the closest one is 65 miles away. Kind of funny that half the names that come up for Michigan and northern Indiana are Amish ones. Makes sense though.

Curious what they rent for. Our nearest place is already closed, so I'll have to wait until they are open again to pursue the idea. Very interesting thought. As long as it isn't something ridiculously priced, it might be worth it to rent for a short spell.

Curious what they rent for. Our nearest place is already closed, so I'll have to wait until they are open again to pursue the idea. Very interesting thought. As long as it isn't something ridiculously priced, it might be worth it to rent for a short spell.
This is what they rent for here...
IMG_2542.jpg

That's not bad at all for a rental. So, how many chains do you run through on one of these doing multiple cords of wood? I imagine they are going to dull just as fast as they do with a normal chainsaw.

That's not bad at all for a rental. So, how many chains do you run through on one of these doing multiple cords of wood? I imagine they are going to dull just as fast as they do with a normal chainsaw.
The one I rented we ran 37 cord through it over the course of a weekend. The processor came with 6 sharp chains...I used them all....did I have to? Probally not but I wasn't playing! They ate the green wood up! Remember that you will need a way to feed the processor...a loader,tractor..or skid steer with either forks or grapple bucket.

The one I rented we ran 37 cord through it over the course of a weekend. The processor came with 6 sharp chains...I used them all....did I have to? Probally not but I wasn't playing! They ate the green wood up! Remember that you will need a way to feed the processor...a loader,tractor..or skid steer with either forks or grapple bucket.

I saw some of the versions had a conveyer attached to the side and I was considering whether we could set up a bucking rack like in the video above I posted, where the logs could basically be rolled off the stack and straight to the conveyor. We have lots (!!) of tools and equipment, but nothing of that size. I'm sure our neighbor farmers have something that would work, but that is just begging for something to break and us be out $$$$$ to fix it.

Do you already have a splitter? You could pay the farmer to run the loader...

Do you already have a splitter? You could pay the farmer to run the loader...

No. We were going to purchase one as part of this project. Not sure that the neighbor farmers would work for hire (they all run their multi-hundred-acre farms and work full-time, so never free), but that was an interesting idea. How many people (and how much equipment) did you have helping you when you cut and split 37 cords in a weekend. I seriously can't even imagine.

No. We were going to purchase one as part of this project. Not sure that the neighbor farmers would work for hire (they all run their multi-hundred-acre farms and work full-time, so never free), but that was an interesting idea. How many people (and how much equipment) did you have helping you when you cut and split 37 cords in a weekend. I seriously can't even imagine.
3 people and a bobcat..could of got by with 2 people....there is another option...we have people here who will come in with a processor and equipment and split it for you. Otherwise you need to get you a nice splitter...if your going to be into the wood burning game for the long haul.

3 people and a bobcat..could of got by with 2 people....there is another option...we have people here who will come in with a processor and equipment and split it for you. Otherwise you need to get you a nice splitter...if your going to be into the wood burning game for the long haul.

Lots to consider. I've never seen anyone local do processing, but I will keep an eye out for it. Even with renting a processor for a week, the total cost of the wood + equipment would run about half the price of getting that much processed wood delivered. So, it's all very compelling ideas. Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Must be the going rate I have the same price sheet from the Dyna rep from the U.P. Home builders show last month.

I hope that is about the going rate down here. You know how folks like to jack up the prices down state for EVERYTHING. ;)

Reactions: Dtcryan
If your getting some equipement involved tractor, bobcat and processor, I would get some big wood. No one wants to deal with large diameter logs and I have always been told the big old growth has a little more btu's in it tighter grains. I'm not sure if it's true but I like the big nasty knotty logs, you just need the right stuff to work it. You should see if you could get a better price if you take the big stuff, since many don't want to deal with it. Plus it doesn't seem like you need it all done tomorrow.

If your getting some equipement involved tractor, bobcat and processor, I would get some big wood. No one wants to deal with large diameter logs and I have always been told the big old growth has a little more btu's in it tighter grains. I'm not sure if it's true but I like the big nasty knotty logs, you just need the right stuff to work it. You should see if you could get a better price if you take the big stuff, since many don't want to deal with it. Plus it doesn't seem like you need it all done tomorrow.

That's an interesting idea. I will tell you that the oak that my house is built out of (1830s old growth) is HARD and burns forever. Not sure the BTU difference, if any, but there are qualitative differences in the wood for sure.

Quick note : might want to lay some plastic down under pallets or what ever you are going to use to elevate splits. Keeps the ground moisture from rising up into stacks.

Quick note : might want to lay some plastic down under pallets or what ever you are going to use to elevate splits. Keeps the ground moisture from rising up into stacks.

You know, we were just discussing this last evening. We have a boatload of 6 mil plastic from a house project that would work great for this (and many old tarps from same said project). Great idea.