Didn't have the Heart.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NordicSplitter said:
Another thread lost to the obvious.
Yep, but the good news is pretty soon we'll be too busy burnin it to argue over measurements.

Backwoods Savage said:
On the cord of wood, I find it rather disgusting that in our area and, I think, all over Michigan, wood is sold by the "cord." Yet, it is simply a stack of wood that measures 4' high by 8' long. If they would state a face cord or rick or any other definition of it I would be fine but to call it a cord, to me, that is false advertising and just plain cheating.

fwiw, around here, for the last 2 years it is very common to find a so-called cord of wood for $45. We've even seen it as low as $35. I suspect when people run out of dead ash the price will go back up but there is a glut right now and it is sad to drive around (or ride my bike) and see all the dead trees.

Same up here, most ads list a "cord" around $55-65 this year. (Ash borer hasn't gone wild up here yet.) If you want to sell "dictionary" cords you need to specify "full cord" to keep people from thinking your price is way too high. Maybe they just don't like fractions in MI.

In DC most of the ads are for real cords, although there are some on craigslist selling ricks, racks, and "country cords". I think those are mostly folks coming in from the surrounding rural areas, the local tree services that sell wood do it by the cord. It's clearly a regional thing that varies even across small regions.

DiscoInferno said:
Backwoods Savage said:
On the cord of wood, I find it rather disgusting that in our area and, I think, all over Michigan, wood is sold by the "cord." Yet, it is simply a stack of wood that measures 4' high by 8' long. If they would state a face cord or rick or any other definition of it I would be fine but to call it a cord, to me, that is false advertising and just plain cheating.

fwiw, around here, for the last 2 years it is very common to find a so-called cord of wood for $45. We've even seen it as low as $35. I suspect when people run out of dead ash the price will go back up but there is a glut right now and it is sad to drive around (or ride my bike) and see all the dead trees.

Same up here, most ads list a "cord" around $55-65 this year. (Ash borer hasn't gone wild up here yet.) If you want to sell "dictionary" cords you need to specify "full cord" to keep people from thinking your price is way too high. Maybe they just don't like fractions in MI.

In DC most of the ads are for real cords, although there are some on craigslist selling ricks, racks, and "country cords". I think those are mostly folks coming in from the surrounding rural areas, the local tree services that sell wood do it by the cord. It's clearly a regional thing that varies even across small regions.
You are correct .It is regional.
You can pick up a paper from a town near me 15 miles into PA and every advertisement reads full cord.

Those of us in the northwest do not have face cords or ricks. We have cords and crooked cheating wood sellers. No banana cords either.

Oh and once we start burning, there will be even more discussions about what a cord is or how complicated the cat stoves are to run. Things intensify here with all the new traffic from burners.

I always love the cord vs face cord conversation. I stack in 24' rows that I consider a full cord but in reality I have no idea if it's a full cord or not. I try to cut all my wood at 16" and not more than 18". Even with that some are shorter I'm sure due to tree lengths, cutting around knots, and everything else. I really think the 4x4x8 cord is a measurement better suited for log length wood that is cut to 8'. I bet very few of us have stacks that have the splits all cut to the exact same lengths.(people who buy log loads have the best shot) At the end of the day if you tell me you're selling face cords and I want a cord I'll just buy three of them and call it a day. As long as people on this site mention they're talking in face cords I have no problem with it.

True.

The other day after cutting a ton of wood I put a tape measure to what I thought I was cutting to 16-18" and most of them where about 14-15" Whoops.

NATE379 said:
True.

The other day after cutting a ton of wood I put a tape measure to what I thought I was cutting to 16-18" and most of them where about 14-15" Whoops.

The good news is that they'll all fit into the firebox with no issues, right? ;)

NATE379 said:
True.

Just go to the hardware and ask to buy a wood stretcher and you'll be in business.

Just go to the hardware and ask to buy a wood stretcher and you'll be in business.

Reminds me... I spent over 20 years in the airline business. Southwest Airlines ground operations. We would break in new rookies by sending them to maintenance at one of the other airlines to borrow 50 feet of flight line, or five gallons of prop wash.
Or, if there was a real heavy bag load we'd send them to borrow a bin stretcher.

:lol: Seems every industry has its own little tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.