Different types and names of chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maj92az

Sep 26, 2020
N Idaho
may someone explain the different types of stove pipes and the uses.
I understand single wall thats easy. Then theres double wall. But what about insulated stove pipe. Where does a Class A come into play with these terms? How about Metalbestos?? Which ones are exterior use vs interior.

tthanks. Many different names and types come up and as I investigate options for potential projects I get them mixed up.

Stove pipe, single or double-wall are interior that must transition to high temp chimney pipe at the room wall or ceiling. Class A, high temp chimney pipe made for wood stoves will always be insulated. Metalbestos is just a brand of Selkirk chimney pipe. There are many others like DuraTech, SuperVent, Excel, Ventis, etc.