Digging the Oak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
For most of this season I've been burning Silver Maple on the warmer days or when I'm around to feed the stove and White Ash for the cold days with a little Hickory splashed in.

With the this latest cold snap(will end tomorrow) I decided to try some Oak(Red Oak family) I split in March of 2009. I wasn't sure how good it would burn since 3 years sounds ideal for oak. I've been mixing it with Hickory and it's been a great combo.

Don't get me wrong White Ash is hard to beat when considering all the variables BUT the Oak is burning wonderfully. Less ash, coals seem to burn down better and seems the stove top temps are holding a higher temp for a bit longer. I think the biggest thing I notice is the difference in ash build up. Needless to say I'm digging it! I'm curious to see how one more year treats it.

Life is Good! Hope there is somthing good to drink with that red? Setting up later this cold eve feeding the beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.