Dispelling the myth of outside storage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my used Accentra the owner made me take 22 bags of Penningtons. I tried to slip out of there without them but he insisted. I mostly didnt want to take them because I forgot to bring an extra tarp and the bags are perforated. It had been raining most of the way there to pick it up but had stopped. I know my luck too well. I only had one small one and it was going on the accentra. I loaded them up and headed out, sure enough ten minutes on the road and it was a downpour. I drove in it for a good 45 minutes before getting past the rain. The water was shedding the bags pretty good but I didnt have much hope. I got home, unloaded them and much to my surprise they were dry. There was no water damage at all. I'm still burning them and they seem fine. Down to 14 bags then I start on the Somersets.

Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
I can see where this thread will be heading! :red:

Did you really think for a minute that it wouldn't?????

Actually yes I did. And I'm rather ticked. I try to be serious and bring some facts for the crew, Not sure I'll waste my time again!

This post should explain something and settle the continuous battle we get with outside storage! Moisture reading was taken before outside storage. Pellets were stored outside since May. In the elements with just the standard cover that the mill has on the pallet when you get them. There was no significant change in moisture. Moisture stayed at 5.8%.

He even gave us numbers of a bag that had gotten water damage. and the pellets that didn't swell only had a moisture content of 7.19%. The only wrecked pellets were the ones that came in direct water contact!

IMHO pretty hard facts that as long as you don't wreck the protection. There isn't an issue!

End rant! >:-(

Storing outside is fine as long as the bags stay covered and are not stored where moisture can run under them. No brainer.

Arguing that pellets are ruined if stored outside is akin to arguing that firewood won't dry and is ruined if stored outside.

j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:

Actually yes I did. And I'm rather ticked. I try to be serious and bring some facts for the crew, Not sure I'll waste my time again!

This post should explain something and settle the continuous battle we get with outside storage! Moisture reading was taken before outside storage. Pellets were stored outside since May. In the elements with just the standard cover that the mill has on the pallet when you get them. There was no significant change in moisture. Moisture stayed at 5.8%.

He even gave us numbers of a bag that had gotten water damage. and the pellets that didn't swell only had a moisture content of 7.19%. The only wrecked pellets were the ones that came in direct water contact!

IMHO pretty hard facts that as long as you don't wreck the protection. There isn't an issue!

I know I appreciate the work that you put into this! Many others will as well.

Thanks again for coming up with HARD facts!

j-takeman said:
I am looking to put a few tons outside, I personally would bring in one full/whole ton at a time as I have the room. Once what I have stored indoors is burned off is what the outdoors stuff will replace. I still will also add an extra tarp to cover them outdoors JIC!

I suppose if your careful? But you had better weigh the cover down all around. Wind blown rain does go sideways! Get an air gap in your cover you could loose a few to mother nature!

I had a pallet of Vermont Wood and MWP outside same way as they came from the pellet house for a couple months. Put them in a Rubbermaid 7X7 shed about end of July along with 2 ton mix of Somersets and Maine's Choice I bought from Lowes last year. I have them stacked on 2X4's. I have burned MWP, Maines Choice and Somersets. They all burned fine..in fact the Somersets were too hot.

I have a ton indoors and with take a ton out of the shed as the first ton is used up.

Thanks for the fact finding!

IHATEPROPANE said:
Thanks for the fact finding!

I wish I could do this for you all. Just don't have the tools. I only asked the question to a couple of different contacts that I have come accross and pass along what I do find. The "Thanks" really needs to go to the fella that came through for me. I wish I could say who it was, So he can get the credit he deserves!

I can say that it wasn't BTU!

Aw cmon Jay put on your big girl panties and chill.
In all your 7452 I'll bet there are just a few
threads where the OP intended on offering serious info
while you and many others of course gave
it a different/humorous spin. It's just the internet
not worth ranting over. :coolsmile:
No matter what facts are offered there are always
going to be people who don't agree. Just take
it with a grain o salt and move on yanno.
In staying on topic though I haven't stored
several tons outside for two years and don't
think I'd do it again. The pellets were fine but
I don't like having to keep the snow shoveled
around them in case I need them and that
can be a huge pita if it snows in feet instead
of inches.

I will say that I do not believe that, the bags get warm in the sun during the day and cool at night. Condensation starts inside the bags and the pellets absorb the WATER.

Eric

I have always stored my pellets in a shed and I have avoided box store pellets if they have condensation on the outside of the bag.

I have two friends who store outside, covered, with no ill effects. I have another friend who stores outside. He just cuts the mill wrapping and takes the bags as he needs them. Water and snow even get into the wrapping onto the pellet bags. He claims has never had a problem doing this. The pellets burn fine, and they are protected by the individual bags.

In light of this thread, I would store my pellets outside, but covered. And I don't think a bit of temperature sweat on the bags is a problem. I've even had this happen to dry bags in my shed.

Sometimes I make too much of these things. Gotta chill.

kinsman stoves said:
I will say that I do not believe that, the bags get warm in the sun during the day and cool at night. Condensation starts inside the bags and the pellets absorb the WATER.

Eric

Would they not hold enough residual heat to stay above the dew point and avoid condensation?

I don't pretend to understand the physics. But, my house is warm and I have condensation outside on the windows in the morning.

kinsman stoves said:

Eric

I'm wondering if this is a proven fact?

i never had a problem with pellets stored outside as long as they did not get wet real wet.....ripped tarp or outer bag . my stove will heat me out of the house if im not carefull. so a degree here or there really dont mean squat .. buy from someone that just sells pellets or pellets and stoves you wont have a problem . home depot is insured they get paid for damaged goods they dont care

Xena said:
Aw cmon Jay put on your big girl panties and chill.
In all your 7452 I'll bet there are just a few
threads where the OP intended on offering serious info
while you and many others of course gave
it a different/humorous spin. It's just the internet
not worth ranting over. :coolsmile:
No matter what facts are offered there are always
going to be people who don't agree. Just take
it with a grain o salt and move on yanno.
In staying on topic though I haven't stored
several tons outside for two years and don't
think I'd do it again. The pellets were fine but
I don't like having to keep the snow shoveled
around them in case I need them and that
can be a huge pita if it snows in feet instead
of inches.

Xena, What got me is this fella reads the replys(he is actually a member here). If he thinks is just a joke! Will he share other tib bits with us? Probably not. Will he share any tid bits with me? Probably so. Will I share them with you, Sounds like a waste of time(If he'd even let me)! Doesn't it really? This gentleman is serious, Just though we should be. Guess not!

Sorry don't wear pantys or briefs. Boxers are more comfy!

I would rather keep my supply in as you say out of the snow. But thinking if the prices do sky on us? Maybe setting a few tons outside under the original wrap and an extra blankie could save us some cash next season. If they get snowed in? I'll just leave um till spring. But totally understand the shoveling around them stuff. Having them stored down were they are needed is more suiting for me. But I only can muster room for around 5 tons! I'd love to be sitting on 7 or 8!

smoke show said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

I'm wondering if this is a proven fact?

Lets see these pellets sat all summer long. May is before summer right? No change in moisture when opened in October. Stayed at 5.8%, Same as the day they were stored outside. Tropical storm even!

IMHO this myth is busted!

Eric, The moisture in the bag could only come from whats already within. If this even happens. I'll ask, If he'll answer!

stellep said:
I don't pretend to understand the physics. But, my house is warm and I have condensation outside on the windows in the morning.

My understanding with condensation on the OUTSIDE of windows is the interior is cooler than the warmer humid outside temp. This would be a sign your windows are insulating well.

Takeman. Thank you, and your anonymous pellet-mill contact, for sharing this valuable data. I posted a "pellet abuse" thread a while ago, so this information is very relevant to me.

I've inspected the individual bags on newly opened pallets of pellet chow, and I do see small holes, and perforation seams on many bags that could let in liquid water. This experience tends to agree with your conclusions, that a factory wrapped pallet is secure against the weather, but the individual bags cannot fend for themselves.

Once that pallet is opened, get those poor kids inside!

Avalon,

That makes sense to me too. Also, I think individual bags covered up outside is ok as well. As in, not in the factory wrap.

j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:

As far as I'm concerned and even though I've had a pellet stove longer than most everyone here (according to the poll results), you are an absolute "authority to be reckoned with" on this site. I completely agree with the results of this fact finding mission as I have experienced the same results in 15 years of pellet use.

j-takeman said:
Eric, The moisture in the bag could only come from whats already within. If this even happens. I'll ask, If he'll answer!

I agree.

I live in an area with very high humidity. I purchased some bags from my neighbor that been stored outside for at least 6 years. The pellets are just fine.

Only time I have seen an issue is if you let rain water or some other water get on top of uncovered bags and sit for a long time.

Then the pellets turn back into sawdust and undergo obvious physical deformation.

j-takeman said:
slls said:
RKS130 said:
To my small and inexperienced mind it seems to me that the right question is not being asked. I can accept that an intact pallet of pellets, properly wrapped and protected, will not absorb moisture, absent unusual circumstances or a breach in the integrity of the encapsulation.

BUT . . . if I have that pallet in my driveaway I have to cut into the wrapping to access the first bag. I certainly cannot rewrap the pallet every time I remove some bags. What will the moisture level be when I get to the 30th bag, a month later? That, to my uneducated mind, is the 64 grand question.

I reseal even in my garage, some folds and couple of bricks. Wood is like a sponge.

Might want to change that to "wood fiber" Take a split or 2x4 and try to suck up some grape juice! In a solid form not so much as when in fiber/saw dust. Saw dust/fiber will suck up moisture much better.

I have a door that sticks in the summer, and it's painted, a sponge.

slls said:
j-takeman said:
slls said:
RKS130 said:
To my small and inexperienced mind it seems to me that the right question is not being asked. I can accept that an intact pallet of pellets, properly wrapped and protected, will not absorb moisture, absent unusual circumstances or a breach in the integrity of the encapsulation.

BUT . . . if I have that pallet in my driveaway I have to cut into the wrapping to access the first bag. I certainly cannot rewrap the pallet every time I remove some bags. What will the moisture level be when I get to the 30th bag, a month later? That, to my uneducated mind, is the 64 grand question.

I reseal even in my garage, some folds and couple of bricks. Wood is like a sponge.

Might want to change that to "wood fiber" Take a split or 2x4 and try to suck up some grape juice! In a solid form not so much as when in fiber/saw dust. Saw dust/fiber will suck up moisture much better.

Are you sure its not just changing its shape due to expansion? Warmer in summer. Warmer = ?????.

j-takeman said:
slls said:
j-takeman said:
slls said:
RKS130 said:

Are you sure its not just changing its shape due to expansion? Warmer in summer. Warmer = ?????.

Yes it's expanding because of moisture. Do remember when furniture would dry out and fall apart in the winter.
Dry rot is no moisture, wet rot is too much. Wood loves water.

Status
Not open for further replies.