DIY Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillyNoMore

Dec 15, 2009
WA state
I have a Scan 61 (non-cat) wood stove. Unfortunately, the manual was only loosely translated from some Scandinavian language! Can anyone advise on how much of the innards (baffle plates) should be removed prior to conducting a top-down chimney cleaning? Any other tips on how to do this process safely, cleanly, and correctly? Thanks in advance!

Les

Cant comment on the baffle plate. But I just used my Soot-Eater for the 1st time 2 days ago, and Wow was that easy. Instructions are very easy to follow and overall the unit is not that expensive. Look at it as a 10 yr tool (or better) Thats a couple bucks a yr, for a tool that made the job kind of fun.

Cheers

Unfortuantely i cant speak for your stove, but usually the baffle is in a position to catch all of the falling soot, meaning either complete removal or a way to sneak a vac hose and mirror to inspect. I have heard of good things from soot eaters, but im more of a straight rod and poly brush kind of guy. Plus i cant do bottom up. I did that once and had soot everywhere, so i stick to keeping to door closed. If you do the solid straight rods, find the thickest you can, not the thin ones at HD or lowes. I ended up getting Ø7/16 rods online. The thin rods are a pain to push thrue a long chimney. Of course, this story changes if you have any sharp bends.

I just bought the Rutland 6" poly bristle brush and fiberglass rods, so no budget left for the SootEater. The rods are 3/8" diameter so I hope they will work. Luckily my chimney and stovepipe only total about 13 feet in height so hopefully the rods will be up to the task.

I burned all last winter and had no visible build-up but I wanted to give things a sweep before the new burning season starts!

13' of chimney you will be fine. I was able to get about that much with the 3/8 rods, maybe a little more. But anything longer you would need 7/16 rods

Thanks EJL -- I'm off to give it a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.