Do you share your wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my friend laugh at me because I'm a maniac about the wood. I laugh at them when they groan about $350/month electric and gas bills. They groan about about the spare tire around their waist, I laugh as I peer down at my flat belly.

I would politely tell the people that want your wood that that is your means of heat. 3 cord is not alot when your in full burn mode. Offer to help them cut and split in the spring and you will not hear from them again.

Just my experience.

I give my sister a pick-up truck full for her little fireplace. She remembers how much work firewood was when we were kids helping mom and dad heat the house with it. She appreciates it and would never ask if I didn't offer. We had a tornado go through here a couple years ago, so I have plenty of extra wood. But, it's like money in the bank. I have a couple of other relatives that are always crying about how they don't have any wood and nobody will cut any for them. They were eyeing my woodpile pretty seriously, so I stuck a "Firewood For Sale" sign in front of it and that shut them up pretty fast! Ha ha! They're as cheap as they are lazy.

LOL
Firewood for sale

Good one!

I'm incredibly lucky....My friend owns an excavating company & also lives on 30 acres and he brought me close to 3 cords of split wood. But I can tell you right here and now he would NEVER just give away free wood to just anyone. It's ALOT of work to split that wood!! Of course now I'll be cooking him dinner on demand for the rest of the winter....lol :)

Tracy

I give wood to my son's grandfather. (stepson....so no direct relation to me but he has always treated all the kids the same) He has never asked but I make sure he has wood for his fireplace. doesn't really heat with it, but enjoys the fire. nice thing about that is I can give him some of my less seasoned wood and it does fine in the fire. This reminds me, I need to take a load of wood by his place. My buddy helped me drop a long dead giant oak in my front yard the year before last. He took the branches ( I already had plenty of dried wood and the branches were the driest part of the tree.) I would probly lend him some wood since he has always been willing to sweat next to me when I need a helping hand. We are heping each other build wood sheds this year. Anyone else who asks for wood is gonna be disapointed.

None of the people who approached me are in financial need. They just didn't plan ahead, nor do they realize how much wood they will need. One guy figured a pick-up load would be more than enough. Huh? For how long? This photo shows my wood for next year. The photo doesn't do it justice, it is really a beuitiful site.

Rick

Attachments

• wood 2.JPG
    wood 2.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 560
Rick said:
None of the people who approached me are in financial need. They just didn't plan ahead, nor do they realize how much wood they will need. One guy figured a pick-up load would be more than enough. Huh? For how long? This photo shows my wood for next year. The photo doesn't do it justice, it is really a beuitiful site.

Rick

Nice Pile Rick...It's not enough! It's never enough!...Even Eric's pile is not enough.

My goal is to have Wood_pile_zilla! I've actually got that, it's just that it's all still standing and growing. A minor complication.

It's for sale if anyone want some!!!

Warren said:
Rick said:

Rick

Nice Pile Rick...It's not enough! It's never enough!...Even Eric's pile is not enough.

My goal is to have Wood_pile_zilla! I've actually got that, it's just that it's all still standing and growing. A minor complication.

It's for sale if anyone want some!!!
Yeah , right ....... we read the post of your wood 4 sale . I think Natural gas is cheaper . Ha . Had to bring it up Warren .

That's the whole point. If someone wanted to pay me a grand for wood, fine, but no one will. So it's all mine!!

:)

True cost of wood. Even if free
Trip down to the local DPW brush drop off time to load the truck return trip home unload the truck cut split and stack

Trip 10 minutes to, Loading 30 minutes maybe more full pickup loose load ½ cord when cut and split 10 minute return trip Cut split stack app 2 more hours 3 hours total. Factor in some trips are not as productive as others
Something has to be factored in for the $700 16 ton electric splitter. Two chain saws one electric one gas, maintainance and the cost of running the truck.

Right! free wood and you want me to give it away. It seems the general public has the impression all wood is free. On construction jobs I am asked for a few 2/4 or sheets of plywood. all too often. I guess they figure I order extra so it is worth noting. What they do not understand is the cost should I order too little. Idle non- production of an entire crew waiting time, to replace the given away materials. I tell them they can have what goes in the dumpster.
(Dumsters) Many times I can return to the job site after a weekend to fine the neighborhood has filled my dumpster/. Did any one ask, no but its full. One time, I was so pissed off I went into the dumpster looking for identifications of who’s trash it was. I got 3 local neighbors names and sent them $100 invoices. One had the nerb to tell me, he would make sure I never worked in that neighborhood again. None ever admitted to dumping their trash.

Revenge can be sweet. A few years pass and this guy pulls a permit for an insert. First trip, I fail it for the cross-sectional code 6” direct vent into a 12/12. $35 more re-inspection fee so he pays to have it fully lined. Next inspection I fail it for clearances to combustibles $ 35 re-inspection fee Next inspection it fails 18” required in front of the loading door another $35. Files a complaint about me to the selectman. Claims I was treating him unfair. I have photocopies of the code so the selectman can view them, plus the inspections reports, where I had outlined all violations the first time. I tell them he could have avoided all additional re-inspection fees had he addressed all the items. He figured once he complained he would automatically pass and I would back off and he would not have to comply. I knew this was coming so every inspection report was stamped in and dated.. I tell the selectmen, I could have charged double fees. Violations existed as noted after the first, second, third and fourth inspections. The selectman doubled his fees. Justice was served, and no I have never worked in that neighborhood again

elkimmeg said:
One time, I was so pissed off I went into the dumpster looking for identifications of who’s trash it was. I got 3 local neighbors names and sent them $100 bills. One had the nerb to tell me, he would make sure I never worked in that neighborhood again. None ever admitted to dumping their trash.

[Guiness]Brilliant!!!!!!!![/Guiness]

Welcome back on board. Don't know what happened but it seemed every post vanished.

Frank Ivy said:
OK,. time for Frank to chime in on this one.

I want to say that if I ever had a pile of seasoned, split wood to defend. You know, wood that will burn if you just look at it hard enouhg - that kind.

Then I want the members of this board next to me defending it.

Because I gotta believe we'd die to the man (woman) to defend it. That's how much we like our wood around here.]

The only question left is - are we all insane, or is this some sort of evolutionary bent that we should cherrish our wood thusly?

I don't know about you Bubba, but wood is the only heat available in this house. Touch the wood, you get touched.

Got DSL, don't have oil or gas available. Not fat either, for the record. I use my wood to evolve from cold to warm. So it must be an evolutionary thing.

The bottom line to your question is yes, we are a tad bit radical about this stuff. Give me oak, or give me death.

I don't know about being crazy. I think it's as simple as knowing what the person is asking of you and they do not. I would imagine most are just asking for some wood and have no concept of how much work goes into getting, and maintaining the wood, or how much wood is required to actually heat for the winter.
Now if you are talking about someone who understands the amount of wood needed, the amount of work required, and just isn't willing to do it. You gotta let them be cold. I would really have a hard time helping them out. Some folks don't know how use a chainsaw...some shouldn't be allowed near a chainsaw. Some don't have a truck. Some lack the strength or dexterity to be of much use at splitting. no matter what your situation, you had better come up with something to contribute to the world for me to be out there busting my hump.

Frank Ivy said:
Brother Bart, now I like you more every post. Don't go and ruin it and tell me "I'm not attracted to you," which are the words every woman with whom I have ever slept have used to try to convince me of something other than the truth.

"Not fat either, for the record. "

Glad to hear it.

Being fat. That's just another way of saying "I don't care enough about myself to keep this big nasty mess of blubber off of my midriff."

Frank, you're killing me with this stuff!

Frank Ivy said:
"I'm not attracted to you," which are the words every woman with whom I have ever slept have used to try to convince me of something other than the truth.
I can honestly say this does not surprise me one bit that every woman you slept with has told you this Frank. If this "Hearth forum" was a "woman" Frank, it would tell you ...."We are not attracted to you," If you treat woman the way you treat people on this forum its going to happen. We wont go into what other reasons you were rejected from woman after you "slept with them" , we'll save that for another forum.

fat? sleep?
huh?
i may throw myself in the fire!
i thought it was about wood? not franks wood?

Roospike said:
Frank Ivy said:
"I'm not attracted to you," which are the words every woman with whom I have ever slept have used to try to convince me of something other than the truth.
I can honestly say this does not surprise me one bit that every woman you slept with has told you this Frank. If this "Hearth forum" was a "woman" Frank, it would tell you ...."We are not attracted to you," If you treat woman the way you treat people on this forum its going to happen. We wont go into what other reasons you were rejected from woman after you "slept with them" , we'll save that for another forum.

Pop Corn...get yer pop corn...Peanuts? Hey Peanuts.

Frank Ivy said:
Well Roospike, first I note that I didn't get the memo that noted that ROOSPIKE had been elected "Speaker of the Forum."

Roospike wrote . . .If this “Hearth forum” was a “woman” Frank, it would tell you ...."We are not attracted to you,”

Wow, how presumptuous of you to speak for the entire forum.

But hey, I guess when you've mastered heating your whole house for 12 hours using 10 toothpicks, then maybe you're entitled to just assume the position of Speaker of the Forum sua sponte.

And, in an attempt to prove you, Roospike, wrong one more time, I ask any member of this board other than Roospike to please note in this thread if you want me to stay on this board and continue to post.

Roospike also wrote . . .
"I can honestly say this does not surprise me one bit that every woman you slept with has told you this Frank . . . We wont go into what other reasons you were rejected from woman after you “slept with them” , we’ll save that for another forum."

Dude, I guess you didn't get my quaint little story.

They told me "I'm not attracted to you" BEFORE we had sex, not after. !!!!

I didn't really figure it all out until about the 3rd time that it happened. Then every time a woman went out of her way to tell me how I wasn't her type, and I'm too abrasive, and I'm too arogant, and so on, I'd be grinning ear to ear and quoting Shakespeare in my head . . .

Anybody want to complete the line?

woman - "You know Frank, you really are full of yourself. I hate that in a guy."
Frank thinks . . . "Methinks the lady _______________."
.............................................................................YAWN................................................................................

Oh well....so much for being tame and staying on topic.

Whow!!! I guess I missed something. Btw what was the topic. Well it is probably better off I missed all the excitement.
Got put on my cape and rescue a person buying A Zolzand( I know I miss spelled it ) death fire box

Hey Frank, is that Sid Vicious in your avatar? "Lazy Sod" has got to be one of my all time favorite tunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.