Does anyone know if new Vermont Castings legs fit an old VC stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petewireless

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2007
Groton, MA
Hi,
The local dealer tells me they don’t make these legs anymore. I really think they have not changed and the new ones will fit the old stove. That being said does anyone have experience with putting new short legs on an old Vermont Castings stove? Or does anyone have an old set of shorties to trade with a set of either 9 in or 6 in legs?
Thanks
Pete

only a few models had short leg kits the resolute acclaim was one. The legs are not the same for the encore,, defiant ,or Villigiant

I don't know if the intrepid had that option Also using short leg kit required a bottom heat shield Again I remember reading this sometime in the past.

I could be wrong about the heat shield

so what model do you have

Short leg kit?
My dad just cut the legs on his Vigilant down to size with a band saw

Stove was too tall to fit in his fireplace.
Off came the legs and to the bandsaw they went.

I forget what he paid but he got that stove "used" for a song, $400 I think?
He bought it the Summer before Katrina, talk about good timing.

You could use the short legs for the Acclaim, but they may need to be ground down or used with longer bolts and larger washers. I've been able to attach legs other than was prescribed for the stove in the past. I also have had good success cutting the 6" legs down with a hacksaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.