Does heating the gasket rope cause it to expand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireinmybelly

Jul 14, 2011
wa
I replaced the gasket rope on my Englander 17-vl for the first time this summer with Imperial 5/8" dia but it does not create a tight seal. I noticed the rope isnt as rigid as the original Englander rope but's it's the 5/8" required dia.
It's summer so I haven't lit the wood stove to cure it per the instrux on the package. However, I cant get an answer from Imperial as to whether the curing will cause the rope to expand or stiffen to create a tight seal.
I dont want it to get cold, light a fire, and come to find theres not a tight seal when there's smoke billowing out the door into the house.
Thanks

It won't cure. Had the same issue on my stove. Stove gasket rope can vary in density and construction as well as diameter. For the best results use the OEM gasket.

It won't cure. Had the same issue on my stove. Stove gasket rope can vary in density and construction as well as diameter. For the best results use the OEM gasket.
Gotcha. Will the rope expand when it's heated for the 1st time?
Which rope manufacturers did you find had the highest density for the least price?

Gotcha. Will the rope expand when it's heated for the 1st time?
Which rope manufacturers did you find had the highest density for the least price?
No the rope will not change at all with heat. Many manufacturers have different densities available in each diameter. There is a reason we have atleast a dozen rolls of gasket on out truck.

x2 on the gasket doesn't expand when hot... if I'm not mistaken I believe it's just stranded fiberglass or rockwool. I've replaced my gasket about a half dozen times and it starts out tight but after about 1-2 years compresses and stops sealing. I personally like to use Rutland brand gasket & adhesive (comes in 1 package) but I live in New England where Rutland is, not sure it makes it that far west.

Gasket design varies. Some have an inner woven core of differing density. Rutland is ok, but it hasn't stood up for me either and for our stove it was the wrong density. I finally bit the bullet and got the OEM gasket. It was expensive, but worked perfectly.

@fireinmybelly note that a leaky gasket probably won't spill smoke unless draft is very poor. More likely it will result in less control of the fire due to excess air being sucked in around the door.

Never seen an instruction to cure the gasket on a new stove. Strange.

Never seen an instruction to cure the gasket on a new stove. Strange.
The gasket adhesive has curing time, not the gasket.