Does Maine have a code that prohibits using decom'd propane tanks as buffer/storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as these tanks have the original ASME nameplate attached to the tank body they are good to go.
But, if there were nozzles welded to these tanks by non-ASME weld shops then you can sell them for scrap.
If they have no original ASME nameplate and they are over 119 gallons, then you can also sell them for scrap, unless you keep the tanks non-presurised

Reactions: NE Poultry Supply
If it is a non commercial install, he can just let you connect the tanks. I think more depends on local code. I am not aware of any residential restrictions on pressure vessels. Technically anything over 119 gal is to be ASME rated, so an ASME cert welder can keep the rating of the tank. I'd do whatever in my own home as we all know an LP tank is more than up to the task of holding hot water under pressure of less than 30 psi.

TS

Reactions: NE Poultry Supply
Status
Not open for further replies.