Does this look like a reasonable price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

disturbedinwv

Aug 9, 2019
WV
Just wondering what you folks think of the cost of this chimney liner and fireplace insert installation. The insert is a Quadrafire 3100i which he gave me a discount on due to it being a display model. Below is an itemized snippet of the bill.

Cheers!

hearth.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Their labor rate for an insert install is really high, especially considering they are making good money off of market up parts.
Looks like a good discount was given on the insert, then just added to the labor rate..

Reactions: Dug8498
If it is a good quality install with block off plate and insulated firebox the labor isn't out of line. If they are just dropping the liner it is high.

If it is a good quality install with block off plate and insulated firebox the labor isn't out of line. If they are just dropping the liner it is high.
If they plan on doing any extra work like that I suspect it would be mentioned in the bid.

If they plan on doing any extra work like that I suspect it would be mentioned in the bid.
I don't mention it in a bid because I don't see it as extra work. That is just how I fell inserts need to be installed to work best so that is the only way I do it. When I used to spell out all the work to be done people would always ask to eliminate the plate or insulation. Or no insulation on the liner.

I don't mention it in a bid because I don't see it as extra work. That is just how I fell inserts need to be installed to work best so that is the only way I do it. When I used to spell out all the work to be done people would always ask to eliminate the plate or insulation. Or no insulation on the liner.
That makes sense.

Reactions: bholler

I paid for mine to be installed by guys who do stove installs for a living.

They had never heard of a blockoff plate, felt that an insulated liner was unneccessary, and felt that 12' of uninsulated flue was perfectly adequate for a stove that specified minimum 15' right in the manual.

"Pro" means you get paid to do something, not that you have bothered to learn anything about the thing you're getting paid for.

Obviously there's plenty of pros who do know what they're talking about, but that's not true of everyone who takes money for services.

I paid for mine to be installed by guys who do stove installs for a living.

They had never heard of a blockoff plate, felt that an insulated liner was unneccessary, and felt that 12' of uninsulated flue was perfectly adequate for a stove that specified minimum 15' right in the manual.

"Pro" means you get paid to do something, not that you have bothered to learn anything about the thing you're getting paid for.

Obviously there's plenty of pros who do know what they're talking about, but that's not true of everyone who takes money for services.
Just because you get paid to do something doesn’t mean you care or know much about it. That’s the difference between a job and a career.

Part of the reason I was skeptical is because they initially quoted me a cost of the same 5K total amount (a vague, non itemized bill), using an ovalized pre insulated liner. They then decided to change it to the non pre insulated liner, which I assumed or thought would be cheaper.I suspected they just inflated the price on some of the stuff to bring up the total to the original total that he had quoted me. Comparing their prices to woodlanddirect.com, they're charging 13% more for the liner, 56% more for the top plate and for the screen guard. I can't find a "reline insulation kit" online but $372 seems high for that.

I guess I'm being nit picky and an ovalized, pre insulated liner is the same cost as a non pre insulated liner, plus an insulation kit. They are the only game in town and can therefor have a higher markup on parts.

assuming you live in a ranch if the liner is only 12 ft. do the install yourself with a buddy and buy the liner kit online. did mine last year. isnt all that hard.

Something to keep in mind when picking a bid apart. The hearth industry is a bit different than some other trades. 1st, not very many people do it, or are qualified. 2nd, insurance is very expensive, so is paying your help, it’s a skilled trade that usually requires certifications. It’s an expensive business to be in. Also, an install takes up most of a day, you are paying for at least 2 guys for the whole day, even if your job doesn’t take all day, your job took the day on the schedule.

Reactions: bholler
Could see if they will do a cash discount. I got a 7% cash discount when I had my insert installed.

That's not an overall bad price no matter how you slice it, I was quoted $4,600 for a Quad insert 12 years ago without an insulated liner and was the best quote I got at that time.