Done with "stuff"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Another (and often most problematic) issue with stuff is getting buy-in from others in the house not necessarily on your mission. Some folks have a lot of romantic illusions and ill-fated plans that are never going to happen.

They had an expert on TV talking about clutter. She said until you get rid of it, don't touch it. Seems the more you handle something, the harder it is to throw it out.

Every time I dispose of something I thought I'd never need again, I have to go to Home Depot for another one the next day. You can't win.

Every time I dispose of something I thought I'd never need again, I have to go to Home Depot for another one the next day. You can't win.
Yes, it happened to me the other day. But that's OK, if you throw out 10 things and need to buy 1 back. You're still ahead.

I had a neighbor once that always bought two of everything, figuring that if he needed it once, he'll probably need it again. This was usually parts, hardware, materials, etc. It sure worked out well for me one time when I needed to repair a tractor mower, local stores didn't have anything, but he had what I needed. He even welded it up for me. Nice guy, We were in a very rural area and he had a very enviable large shop.

I also had a retired friend that had owned a gun shop and was a gunsmith. He couldn't bear to part with most of his stuff when he left the business, so he hauled it around every time he moved. I needed a rear sight for a very old Winchester that was extremely hard to find the proper one that wasn't a repro. I told him about it and he went to his garage and started pawing through stuff and came up with one.

Where we live now, we have some farmers and rancher friends. They hardly ever need to go to town for anything.

I'm no horder, but I usually seem to find something that will work in a pinch and friends will always help each other out here.

I had a neighbor once that always bought two of everything, figuring that if he needed it once, he'll probably need it again. This was usually parts, hardware, materials, etc. It sure worked out well for me one time when I needed to repair a tractor mower, local stores didn't have anything, but he had what I needed. He even welded it up for me. Nice guy, We were in a very rural area and he had a very enviable large shop.

I also had a retired friend that had owned a gun shop and was a gunsmith. He couldn't bear to part with most of his stuff when he left the business, so he hauled it around every time he moved. I needed a rear sight for a very old Winchester that was extremely hard to find the proper one that wasn't a repro. I told him about it and he went to his garage and started pawing through stuff and came up with one.

Where we live now, we have some farmers and rancher friends. They hardly ever need to go to town for anything.

I'm no horder, but I usually seem to find something that will work in a pinch and friends will always help each other out here.
Did some more stuff removal yesterday. I start with three boxes, trash, donate, sell. Fill 'em up, git 'em out. I was saving a bunch of oak boards from a few old tables cause I liked the patina. I made a plant stand and put some wheels on it. After I did this it was way easier to toss the rest in the trash pile. I think I'm on to something here.

Consolidated stuff from a smaller rank onto the larger rack. Took the smaller rack apart, 8x8, that steel frame with board for shelves type.
I'm starting to see a lot more floor space. I love empty space.

I buy tools on sale...so that when I need them, I have them. I have not once regretted getting good quality tools. Money in the bank and there when you need them.

Reactions: Buzz Saw
I buy tools on sale...so that when I need them, I have them. I have not once regretted getting good quality tools. Money in the bank and there when you need them.
1/2 and 9/16 sockets and wrenches I need to buy 3 of each as I never can find them.

Reactions: Sprinter
I used to have a set of Whitworth tools when I was a teen, overhauling a Morris Minor. I never understood the need for so many different measures then and I still don't. It's crazy. The whole world is metric.

Last edited:
I used to have a set of Whitworth tools when I was a teen, overhauling a Morris Minor. I never understood the need for so many different measures then and I still don't. It's crazy. The whole world is metric.
Except Burma, Liberia, and oh... that other country.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I have been on a more minor purge here ... Unfortunately, since we live a 1/2 hour away from town and 1 hour away from stores with more convenient hours (hardware 1/2 hour away only open til noon on Saturday, no Sunday hours), it pays to have an assorted collection of parts and pieces.

The rest of the world laughs while we use "slugs" to differentiate lb mass from lb force.
Well, that's one term I don't think I've ever actually used. Except, of course, for those damn things in the garden...

Big win! Sold my VW for thousands of dollars. 1/2 of the garage opened up and 3 large bins gone, extra parts.

Also took 4 boxes to goodwill.

Reactions: wenger7446
Wow ... you are really on a roll.
Thanks. I took a solid oak library drop leaf table to the local auction house for appraisal. I was shocked to see the appraisal was $50. The guy told me the market for antique furniture has fallen through the floor. I brought it back, I can use it in our cape cod house.

Thanks. I took a solid oak library drop leaf table to the local auction house for appraisal. I was shocked to see the appraisal was $50. The guy told me the market for antique furniture has fallen through the floor. I brought it back, I can use it in our cape cod house.
Did he give a reason why antique furniture value is so low? Is the trend over?

Did he give a reason why antique furniture value is so low? Is the trend over?
Tastes mainly. Its cyclical. I used to buy/refurbish/resell in the 90's and this table would bring in $500 easy.

Getting a stall at a flea market tomorrow. Bringing ~2 car loads of stuff. No reasonable, and some unreasonable, offers refused.

That is so sad ... it is so hard to find decent real wood furniture without an insane cost. The only problem with some of the older dining sets are the sizes with some being huge! At that value on the table, the wood itself is worth more....
The "shabby chic" trend drives me crazy as I hate to see wood furniture painted...