Done with "stuff"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
"Sigh... perhaps one day I'll be able to do that, too. And you know that as soon as you do it you'll actually need one of the spare parts you purged."

The only reason that happens is because you know it was there once you've thrown it away

If you did not throw it away, you'd probably have no clue it was there

"True, but inherent, i hope, in my premise is space. I have several bins with nails, screws, washers etc separated. Also, use is the driving factor."

I have bins like that. My friend Bob, when he picks through one ,calls it "vita morta e miracoli" (life death and miracles)

"We put our house on the market last Spring. Filled a 30 yards dumpster between the house and garage."

Twice in the last 20 years I rented a large dumpster and purged

First time it was my experiments in solar hot water. Second time it was the detritus of a decade of c band satellite

"Sigh... perhaps one day I'll be able to do that, too. And you know that as soon as you do it you'll actually need one of the spare parts you purged."

The only reason that happens is because you know it was there once you've thrown it away

If you did not throw it away, you'd probably have no clue it was there
Not true, for those of us with organized shops. I have 1500 sq.ft. of very neatly work shop space, much of it being racks of bins of nicely organized tools and materials.

The number of times I've held on to something, to eventually throw it away and then need it within weeks of that, can't be counted on my ten fingers. The latest was just a week ago. I tossed two 6 inch drain pipe couplings two weeks ago, because they take up so much space, and then discovered a busted 6" drain line in the back yard just last weekend. I had to take a 60 minute round-trip drive last Saturday to fetch a new one.

Not true, for those of us with organized shops. I have 1500 sq.ft. of very neatly work shop space, much of it being racks of bins of nicely organized tools and materials.

The number of times I've held on to something, to eventually throw it away and then need it within weeks of that, can't be counted on my ten fingers. The latest was just a week ago. I tossed two 6 inch drain pipe couplings two weeks ago, because they take up so much space, and then discovered a busted 6" drain line in the back yard just last weekend. I had to take a 60 minute round-trip drive last Saturday to fetch a new one.
we have a several home centers and even closer local hdw stores. so at worst, a 5 min trip to the local aubuchan. but this does happen, at those times, I consider the alternative. well worth it imo.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

we have a several home centers and even closer local hdw stores. so at worst, a 5 min trip to the local aubuchan. but this does happen, at those times, I consider the alternative. well worth it imo.

I have an Ace ten minutes away, and Home Depot or Lowe’s each 20-25 minutes away, but none of them stock anything over 4 inch, in drain pipe. The 6” and 8” stuff is usually commercial distributor territory.

I love my stuff and get new stuff all the time.

But a small house means that when new stuff comes old stuff must go.

So I have the same amount of stuff, just better, fancier and more expensive stuff - :)

next is our old bikes...we have 7 old Schwinn's/Columbia's, etc including a Schwinn bike built for two from the 70's. They are hanging vertically now, but we don't need 7 old bikes. I'm gonna fix up 2 + the double and sell the rest.

next is our old bikes...we have 7 old Schwinn's/Columbia's, etc including a Schwinn bike built for two from the 70's. They are hanging vertically now, but we don't need 7 old bikes. I'm gonna fix up 2 + the double and sell the rest.

Bikes are something of a collection here, with kids of the age that go thru a given size in six months. Two kids four years apart, so we keep one for each member of the family in the garage, and the slew of “in between” sizes that the older one has outgrown and the younger is not yet grown into in the basement boiler room. I suppose this is the mode we’ll be in, with one object or another, until they go off to college, or otherwise.

My latest “stuff” thing is 3-point implements for the tractor. I’ve started building sheds about the property to store them all. A useful collection of stuff, but they do take some space.

My latest “stuff” thing is 3-point implements for the tractor. I’ve started building sheds about the property to store them all. A useful collection of stuff, but they do take some space.
Same here.
I saw one guy who used dollies to store his 3-point stuff on so that he could keep it inside a building with a concrete floor. He moved the implement to the tractor rather than the other way around. Seemed like a good idea to me but I don't have that much indoor space with a smooth floor.

Reactions: Ashful
doubling down. so I went to an estate sale near home...OMG, lady is 102 and had to move out. every room upstairs and down looked like a goodwill store. 95% trinkets, old pans, and just plain useless stuff. who knows, maybe she loved it, more power to her...but for me it was like a horror movie.

doubling down. so I went to an estate sale near home...OMG, lady is 102 and had to move out. every room upstairs and down looked like a goodwill store. 95% trinkets, old pans, and just plain useless stuff. who knows, maybe she loved it, more power to her...but for me it was like a horror movie.

I blame Mothers Day. Every year, nearly every kid in America buys their mom a useless shelf trinket.

Buy her booze, mom yells less at the kids, when she’s tipsy.

well that brought back a memory- ma had a thing for Southern Comfort

Thought you were rid of me? Ok, we decided to turn the basement into a entertainment /workout area. My office is already down there. We're leaving a 20x8x5 separated space for storage, next to the new 1/2 bath.

So all my tools, supplies, are being moved to the outdoor shed. Everything that doesn't fit into that storage space must go!

I have a 12000sf commercial bldg where i store most of my "stuff" . Took 10 yrs to fill it up and iv been trying to empty it for the last 25.

• Haha
Reactions: begreen
I'm probably going to need to add on to my outdoor shed to fit my tools, good thing it doesn't have a walls on either end.

Whoever dies with the most toys wins.

Doing just the opposite. I don't want to leave my kids with a bunch of crap they have to figure out how to peddle.

Whoever dies with the most toys wins.
The definition of toys is important.
For me its tools that allow me to create and build stuff.
I won't claim I'm winning but I'm giving it a go.

My splurge is either good beer or tools. Trying to retire but still buying tools like im expanding. Picked up 5 cases of great beer this week. and some cutting edge tools.

Exactly. My newest toy:

0d9f9f40c4d14dee2f8e2f4105f1b2d5.jpg

Exactly. My newest toy:
Nice!
I have the 3032e with an FEL. I'm always amazed how many ways I find to use it.
its acquisition was a major milestone in my race for more "toys" and one I looked forward to for many years.

Reactions: Ashful
Nice!
I have the 3032e with an FEL. I'm always amazed how many ways I find to use it.
its acquisition was a major milestone in my race for more "toys" and one I looked forward to for many years.

My idea of a dream toy. Takes up less space.

g958MAC7200-F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: