Door Handle Seized

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanhudson

Burning Hunk
Feb 18, 2012
South Dakota
I need some help from the forum. I have a Drolet Austral in its second season. I replaced the door gasket on Wednesday. The door handle performed flawlessly up until that point. Subsequent to the first burn after I replaced the gasket the handle has become almost inoperable. I'm not sure what could have caused this and am curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

For reference the handle assembly on my stove is threaded into the door, as such the handle can be adjusted out or in to accomodate new gasketing, or gasketing as it compresses. After the installation of the new gasketing I had to adjust the handle in 3 turns but the handle turned freely. Now it is almost like it is seized, it will turn, but it takes a rediculous amount of effort to do so.

Please help!:(

Yep. And then do the dollar bill test to make sure you are in proper adjustment. Sounds like you might be too tight with the new gasket.

I need some help from the forum. I have a Drolet Austral in its second season. I replaced the door gasket on Wednesday. The door handle performed flawlessly up until that point. Subsequent to the first burn after I replaced the gasket the handle has become almost inoperable. I'm not sure what could have caused this and am curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

For reference the handle assembly on my stove is threaded into the door, as such the handle can be adjusted out or in to accomodate new gasketing, or gasketing as it compresses. After the installation of the new gasketing I had to adjust the handle in 3 turns but the handle turned freely. Now it is almost like it is seized, it will turn, but it takes a rediculous amount of effort to do so.

Please help!:(

Put "Drolet Austral" in the title of the thread and you'll get input from other owners.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I knew that I would need to lubricate somehow, just wasn't sure how best to accomplish that.

Yep. And then do the dollar bill test to make sure you are in proper adjustment. Sounds like you might be too tight with the new gasket.
I had "dollar billed" it to ensure proper fit. I'm not sure if me turning the handle out to accomodate the new gasket led to contaminants from the previously exposed threads getting into the tapped part of the door or what, but thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.