Double dip scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Not a stick of wood on this one, but a great find for me all the same. Been looking for some free, longer life supports to stack the piles on. Also decided what to do with the butts/knots/shorts that I have; loading them into burlap bags and topping the stacks with the loaded bags. Happened to be on an industrial site with the property manager and asked if the coffee company there reused the bags. 5 minutes later, had about 30 of them. Also mentioned an interest in any plastic skids, and whala!, 6 on my truck heading home. More to come on the skids too. I needed a longer life span than a wood skid as the wood I am stacking now I wont burn for 5 years. Now I can start getting the pile into nice stacks. Gotta make room for the next loads! Of course, it is snowing now, so no stacking today.

Attachments

• tree40.jpg
    tree40.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 323
  • tree35.jpg
    tree35.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 318
Very nice scrounge. What I wouldn't give for some free plastic palletts. Wood is easy to come by as compared to plastic pallets.

Shawn

I would love to have plastic pallets we get them here at work all the time, I would love to take them home but not worth getting fired over.

Do you think wood is going to season in a burlap bag?

Dunno about coffee burlap bags ( are they plastic now like bird seed ? ), but the wind used to go right thru the old chicken feed grain bags.

Nice on the plastic pallets. They used to have a deposit on them years ago.
(at last the ones we got did) 20 were used, 20 had to go back.

they are from pepsi, I am sure they are counted. :)

I think you can find them where corrosive products or international products are shipped. I believe that chemicals used for freezing were shipped on the ones I have. I have also seen batteries shipped on them. They seem downright perfect for the job. Strong enough to stack normal hieght and the flex to form to the ground level. Just stacked a full skid of Black Walnut and 80% on another skid of American Walnut. Tough going since I did not split and pile with proper foresight of the stacking I am doing.

Wood Duck said:
Do you think wood is going to season in a burlap bag?

The pieces going into the bag are no larger than a shoe, and the bags are traditional burlap fabric. I am sure they will breath. Combine the size and breathability and the stuff will be ready for fall if I figure out what to do with it.

mywaynow said:
I think you can find them where corrosive products or international products are shipped. I believe that chemicals used for freezing were shipped on the ones I have. I have also seen batteries shipped on them. They seem downright perfect for the job. Strong enough to stack normal hieght and the flex to form to the ground level. Just stacked a full skid of Black Walnut and 80% on another skid of American Walnut. Tough going since I did not split and pile with proper foresight of the stacking I am doing.

American walnut?? Black Walnut is the native american Walnut.

Sounds like a good find. After putting the short pieces into the bags, I'd want to make sure they also had sunshine. Then you can also rotate them from time to time so sun and wind hit different areas of the bags.

Update on using burlap bags:

Don't. Tried to move one the other day and it has broken down so badly that the bag tears before the wood moves at all. All the bags did the same thing. Biodegradable for sure. I did not have that part of the pile tarped so the rain has been hitting these bags freely. Live and learn.

Darn; I was wonder what to do with my smalls; My Wheelbarrow is full right now, with small bits. I was thinking these bags would do the trick; Oh well, thanks for posting up and saving me some time!

Glad to help another member avoid the same mistake. YW. I pondered the possibility of getting more bags and covering with a tarp, but figured the degradation of the burlap would happen albeit at a slower pace.

Glad to help another member avoid the same mistake. YW. I pondered the possibility of getting more bags and covering with a tarp, but figured the degradation of the burlap would happen albeit at a slower pace.

I just make a bin out of pallets and toss all my shorts, stubbies and cookies into the pallet bin, wind goes right through.

Burlap bags can last for dozens of years.....if kept dry. Just think of all the farmers that used to use them for bagging grain. When empty, we used to have a wire hanging like a clothes line and just draped the bags over the wire. Using wire kept the mice from getting to the bags. Again, the key is to keep the bags dry. Outdoors they won't last long at all.

Those plastic pallets would make a great compost bin too.
Cover the compost with the burlap, keeps in moisture & will break down into compost .
I missed the OP in March, great score on the pallets.

I'm thinking that somebody got in trouble over those pallets. They are too nice and expensive to throw away. Good score!

Status
Not open for further replies.