Double stacked, top covered.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I know that double row stacked firewood is slightly slower drying than single rows. That said, due to space limitations, I double stack on pallets with about 8 inches or do of space between rows. I top cover with tin roofing the double rows (one solid piece of roofing over both rows). I got to wondering about the airflow in between rows and wondering if the airflow would be sufficient in between rows, underneath tin roofing to carry away evaporated moisture from the stacks. What do you think?

Kinda late in summer to be ready this fall but i expect anything but the oak i read about here wpuld be ready to burn in one full summer stacked like that.

Anything underneath to get the stack off the ground?

I know that double row stacked firewood is slightly slower drying than single rows. That said, due to space limitations, I double stack on pallets with about 8 inches or do of space between rows. I top cover with tin roofing the double rows (one solid piece of roofing over both rows). I got to wondering about the airflow in between rows and wondering if the airflow would be sufficient in between rows, underneath tin roofing to carry away evaporated moisture from the stacks. What do you think?

I double-stack as well on pallets and tarp cover my stacks [for the same reason as you, limited space]. I just tested wood that I c/s/s last summer and the softer woods are 16%-18%, small hardwood pieces are 18%-19%, and larger hardwood pieces were 20%-22%. My stacks get fairly good airflow and some sun in the early morning and late afternoon. Your wood will dry and season faster than you think. But I would agree with @Poindexter, if you hope to use it this winter...yeah, probably not going to happen. However, if this is next year's wood, you should be in pretty good shape.

Kinda late in summer to be ready this fall but i expect anything but the oak i read about here wpuld be ready to burn in one full summer stacked like that.

All wood is on pallets. I Aldo should have mentioned that the wood was cur and split over this past winter and stacked in March/April. No oak, it's mostly pine and maple ( mostly soft maple)

All wood is on pallets. I Aldo should have mentioned that the wood was cur and split over this past winter and stacked in March/April. No oak, it's mostly pine and maple ( mostly soft maple)

With the way the weather has been, you might be able to burn the pine this year & possible the maple. Grab a few pieces from throughout your stacks, split again, and check the moisture on inside of the splits with a moisture meter, if you have one. You might just luck out.

If it has been up and covered since april the pine is probably ready now unless your splits are gargantuan.

Maple species have different drying rates that i am not firm on, it depends on what kind you got.

8 inches is plenty of room between rows. The more the better but that will allow enough air to move through the stacks.

If it were oak I'd say you need a lot more time but the maple and definitely the pine should be good.

I switched to this method a few years ago and did not notice much if any difference in drying time from a single stack.
DSCN4226.JPG

The snow looks good right about now eh?

It will be ready, both season fast. Oak in a single row would not be ready any way you stack it.

Double rows are fine. It's all I do for a couple of reasons. Biggest is that a pallet only holds two rows, second biggest is that the roofing metal I use only covers two rows, third is that visqueen plastic is sold in 10' wide rolls which when folded over make a 5' wide top cover and since I insist on a foot of side cover it means the visqueen too is made for double rows.

The world wants double rows.

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Status
Not open for further replies.