double wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyroholic

Feb 17, 2013
Mid-Michigan
I am thinking the one is mulberry. Not bad since a friend asked if they could bring some boxelder by they wanted rid of. I figured I'd burn it in the fire pot. When the 1/2 cod of mulberry showed up I was pleasantly surprised.

The other splits are really my question. Some kind of oak maybe. 20130901_192249.jpg
Here is what I've been working on the past few days. This should put me at about 13 cords. Not bad considering i started in March this year.

Maybe time to join the FWHC20130901_193246.jpg
20130901_192050.jpg

Got the newest CAD medication in there too.

Good running 028 super. Traded for an oven i have been trying to sell for $100 to get it out of my way. Not bad.

Yes, i have a problem.

1 looks like Osage orange, 2 IDK ,why is it gray ? old split ?

Mulberry and second one looks like birch or maple. Osage is very yellow orange. Seasoned its reddish brown like mulberry.

Mulberry and second one looks like birch or maple. Osage is very yellow orange. Seasoned its reddish brown like mulberry.
Yep U R right
My, mulberry

IMG_20130307_181824.jpg

Last edited:
Nice HD, that mulberry is beautiful looking wood first split and burns great.

1 looks like Osage orange, 2 IDK ,why is it gray ? old split ?
The gray stuff is from slabs cut last winter then cut to stove length this week. I could get a pic of a fresh end.
The wood is very solid and heavy and still at 35% after a year of being in 10 foot long splits. That's what made me think oak, but maybe maple. There was some leaves on a round of the same stuff that were maple shaped, but variegated. Looked like it was naturally variegated, not like it was sick. I am not too sure so that is why I'm asking.

The mulberry(?) turns a deep orange after a day or two in the open. Is that typical?

The gray stuff is from slabs cut last winter then cut to stove length this week. I could get a pic of a fresh end.
The wood is very solid and heavy and still at 35% after a year of being in 10 foot long splits. That's what made me think oak, but maybe maple. There was some leaves on a round of the same stuff that were maple shaped, but variegated. Looked like it was naturally variegated, not like it was sick. I am not too sure so that is why I'm asking.

The mulberry(?) turns a deep orange after a day or two in the open. Is that typical?
Yes it can turn quickly. My experience with Mulberry is that it holds moisture and is very heavy. It gets lighter and darker almost red brown when seasoned. Great stuff though. Worth the wait. 2or3 years.

Reactions: HDRock
2nd pic ,could maybe be red maple

The bark could be oakish, but the face isn't. Split that slab so we can see a fresh face on it.

The one on the right is Aspen.

Looks like mulberry and red maple to me........hard to tell about the maple I'm on my phone.....dang tiny pictures.

Yes it can turn quickly. My experience with Mulberry is that it holds moisture and is very heavy. It gets lighter and darker almost red brown when seasoned. Great stuff though. Worth the wait. 2or3 years.
Yep ,heavy

I am thinking the one is mulberry. Not bad since a friend asked if they could bring some boxelder by they wanted rid of. I figured I'd burn it in the fire pot. When the 1/2 cod of mulberry showed up I was pleasantly surprised.

The other splits are really my question. Some kind of oak maybe. View attachment 110285
Here is what I've been working on the past few days. This should put me at about 13 cords. Not bad considering i started in March this year.

Maybe time to join the FWHCView attachment 110286
View attachment 110287

This last pic really captures the essence of the hobby. A splitter on the left, a big pile of splits in the middle, a pickup on the right, and a Stihl chainsaw resting in the bed. A work of art! :)

So,, You have some Mulberry and Aspen there.
And a nice pile of splits:)

Reactions: pyroholic
Definitely Mulberry .not sure on thee other ..Mulberry is as good as redoak

Definitely Mulberry .not sure on thee other ..Mulberry is as good as redoak
Funny that I was told some boxelder was being dropped of and it turned out to be mulberry.

On Monday I got about another cord and a half of slabs and rounds sitting there ready to add to the split pile now too. That's going to be a mountain before I get it stacked.

Went and stacked for a couple hours for a buddy this evening to build some favor time to get mine done. Just more fun with a buddy and some brews. After that I installed a set of 2500hd springs in my truck to replace the broken 1500 spring that snapped with a load a couple weeks back. Worked 8 hours before that. Long, productive day.

Soft Maple

Reactions: HDRock
Status
Not open for further replies.