Draft linkage for older Jamestown J1000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davez

Nov 10, 2014
Maryland
Hoping someone can help me out with a picture of the linkage to the draft knob inside the side cover of a manual draft J1000.
Basically all i have is a 1/4" rod that sticks out of the draft tube... i am getting tired of constantly opening the side door and fussing with it, need a little direction on what to build/make; parts are not available.
thanks!

Manual I just looked at shows a knob on the exterior to manually adjust draft on the J1000. Does the draft knob turn or slide? If it turns, couldn't you drill a hole in the side panel to connect a knob to? Is the end threaded?

Hmm, that is a good idea, but i think i might be better coming up with some sort of wheel/cam to attach to the end of the rod (w/an arm to set in the grove/positions on the side cover). Currently sometimes the exhaust fan will blow(pull) the damper fully open on a low pellet feed setting and i blow pellets out of the burn pot.

Guessing i am getting slightly confused but it would make sense to me that if you have a constant draft but a smaller opening in the draft tube than you would get greater force, i would think wide open would be less force but more air? Either way you think about it, if i hold the rod and control the draft, i can get a good burn if i let it go, it moves and pellets go flying or burn rich....

I should mention i rebuilt the exhaust fan with new bearings and a new impeller and tightened up the casing it sits in with new gaskets/etc and basically have a new 16ft/4" chimney liner thats insulated at the top 12. no fresh air connect yet, but i highly doubt that would change the problem'... i am probably just pulling too much draft, but still its annoying. I didnt get the stove in till late last season, maybe burned half a ton of pellets.

I am still in for less than 200$ might as well make it 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.