Drill Press Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller,

Thanks, your thoughtful posts are always welcome. I just disagree with them sometimes, but that's okay too...right?

DanCorcoran said:
Battenkiller,

Thanks, your thoughtful posts are always welcome. I just disagree with them sometimes, but that's okay too...right?

Battenkiller got some "Mad Skills" ! I need him to Mcgiaver me an M7...... :cheese: lol But most cant and will not match-up to his skill set!

DanCorcoran said:
Battenkiller,

If everybody synchronized their nodding of the head, we wouldn't need to have discussions on how to stack wood. :coolsmile:

Not everybody has the same "needs" in a tool. But in response to the OPs post, the used market offered the potential for an upgrade, and that is a good thing (IMHO).

You STACK your wood?

:)

DanCorcoran said:
You STACK your wood?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Woodpile.jpg

Battenkiller said:
DanCorcoran said:
You STACK your wood?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Remember - your asking the guy that coined the phrase "heapin-hauzen" %-P

Jags said:
Remember - your asking the guy that coined the phrase "heapin-hauzen" %-P

'Tis true, 'tis true.

Hey, I just found a way to recoup losses on crappy Taiwanese tools that never work right. Keep 'em for 6 years and wait for the retail price to go up. I paid $180 for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/RIKON-30-251-Floor-Radial-Drill/dp/B002FB74XI

Think I can actually sell the thing and turn a tidy profit.

Doesn't have to be crappy Taiwanese tools. I got a written offer on my 2007 Subaru Forester from CarMax two years ago for $12,500. I decided not to sell. Two weeks ago I sold it to a Subaru dealer for $13,500 cash. They basically paid me $500 a year to drive it for two years (it had 18,000 miles on it then, and 39,000 when I sold it). Go figure...

DanCorcoran said:
Doesn't have to be crappy Taiwanese tools. I got a written offer on my 2007 Subaru Forester from CarMax two years ago for $12,500. I decided not to sell. Two weeks ago I sold it to a Subaru dealer for $13,500 cash. They basically paid me $500 a year to drive it for two years (it had 18,000 miles on it then, and 39,000 when I sold it). Go figure...

H-mmmm... I wonder what we'd get for my wife's 2002 Toyota Corolla with 292,000 miles on it if we wait ten years. :cheese:

Sounds like you made out a little better on that than I will on this dang drill press, and I didn't even get to use it for two years. ;-)

After this one I would bet a 460 I could pee at-least 4 inch's further than either of You! :coolgrin: (double shock that one %-P )

smokinjay said:
After this one I would bet a 460 I could pee at-least 4 inch's further than either of You! :coolgrin: (double shock that one %-P )

Prolly right there, SJ. At this stage I can barely clear my boot tips... and that's with the 4" extension that came stock with the tool. :coolsmile:

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

Prolly right there, SJ. At this stage I can barely clear my boot tips... and that's with the 4" extension that came stock with the tool. :coolsmile:

lmao! :lol:

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

Okay - that one got a grin and a snicker out of me. :lol:

time for smaller boots maybe. or stand with toes pointed inward. you can thank me later.

Here's a pic of my old Delta homeowner's drill press. It's a beefy little pig of a tool that has served me well for about 15 years or so. The compound slide table and vise that came with it are sitting up on the table. $50 for everything. Worth a gamble even for a newbie at that price.

Flanking it to the left is a next-to-useless 12" shear made in India. Supposed to cut 1/4" plate, it has trouble with 16 ga. They didn't get the cutters aligned right, so heavier metal just causes them to separate too far to cut. Suppose I can sell that for a profit now as well, only cost me $125. To the right is a made-in-China 5" Makita angle grinder that has held up to some serious grinding, so some stuff they got right. Chalk it up to Makita quality control. Farther over is a Delta 42" belt/9" disc sander that... well... it's getting sold too. My 72" Bader belt grinder would consume that entire sander in about a minute.

Sorry for the huge pic, I forgot to downsize it before uploading to my Photobucket account and I'm too lazy to redo it.

IMG_7167.jpg

I see that your shop equipment is not the only old stuff you value...Scotch for example.

DanCorcoran said:
I see that your shop equipment is not the only old stuff you value...Scotch for example.

Ah... is that what that is? I just buy it for the handy storage tunes it comes in. :roll:

Actually, that stuff is only 10 years old. Everyday malt. I really like the Lagavulin 16 and Bowmore 17... when I've been a good boy. Been very bad lately, so it's Elijah Craig for a while.

We had a couple of the cheap tawian bench drills on my dad's farm. One very quickly had a loose spindle. Bearings were fine but the 'quill?' or spindle was floppy.
The other ran great, but low speed was 400 rpm or more. For drilling a 3/4 bit in steel, too fast, dnagerous, burned bits, not enough torque, slipped belts, and chucks were hard to tighten enough, and just not good for farm use. Eventually we got another older tool room unit that went down to about 150 rpm and it worked great.
So I would vote with the go old and heavy and good, but make sure it goes slow enough if you are going to do big holes in steel with 1/2 inch shank bits.

Wish I had it now. The big old hand drill works, but is not precise and it is quite a workout for the arms with larger bits. My biggest hand drill is a 1950's B&D, when they were quality, 1/2 inch, 175 rpm speed, forward only. slow, powerful, and controllable. Sold the new craftsman as it ran too fast, and had the old B&D rebuilt. Not doing much in heavy steel anymore though...

Battenkiller said:
Here's a pic of my old Delta homeowner's drill press.

I have the same one. It's hard to go wrong when you find a tool like that at that price.

SolarAndWood said:
Battenkiller said:
Here's a pic of my old Delta homeowner's drill press.

I have the same one. It's hard to go wrong when you find a tool like that at that price.

Or 5X the price if you have to. Luckily, they are to be had for much less, so you don't have to.

Now find me an 8" industrial bench grinder for that much and I'll be happier than a pig in poo. :cheese:

Any feedback on Orbit drill presses?

thinkxingu said:
Any feedback on Orbit drill presses?

Early Taiwanese stuff, much better than the stuff that came later. The few I've seen are pretty heavy duty for a home owner's press. Worth getting if it's fairly cheap and in good shape.

Batten (or anyone else with info): There's an Orbit 1414 (can't find info on it) 5-speed "industrial" press on Craigslist near me for $75. If it's in fine shape (it belonged to the woman's father, who passed away), would this be a decent homeowner press?

Thanks,

S

I found a couple of 1412s on the Web. Not sure what the difference is, but the 1412 looks like what I've seen before. Certainly not an "industrial" drill press by any standard, but that's a real good price on a decent homeowner's tool. One's I've seen on eBay and such are going for a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.