Drolet Eco 65 dirty glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FirBurner

Mar 7, 2016
Canada
The glass on my door is about 80% covered with brown and white ash after about 8hrs of running. Asking other Drolet Eco 65 owners, is this typical for this stove?
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! No Eco65 here but they all have some degree of ash build-up on the glass door. Some stoves have a more effective airwash, sometimes it's the pellets used. The time to get worried is when you have creosote ...

I had an OAK hooked up, but disconnected to do some testing. There was not a noticeable change with the OAK hooked up or not, though my house is old and not sealed very tight. The flames look good and strong. I had a lot of half burnt pellets getting shot out of the burn pot, so I blocked off half of the combustion air. This reduced the number of pellets getting shot out and also reduced the amount of ash on the glass. I think reducing the combustion air causes more air to be drafted thru the air wash on the door.

The top two corners of the glass are the worst spots for me. I'm not sure why, it might be the air wash channel is blocked by the small pieces of rope gasket used to keep the glass from touching the door.

My install is into the side of a masonry chimney (4" SS liner), so its close to the maximum EVL, therefore maybe the exhaust fan can't create enough of a vacuum in the stove to make the air wash work effectively.

The top two corners of the glass are the worst spots for me. I'm not sure why, it might be the air wash channel is blocked by the small pieces of rope gasket used to keep the glass from touching the door.

My install is into the side of a masonry chimney (4" SS liner), so its close to the maximum EVL, therefore maybe the exhaust fan can't create enough of a vacuum in the stove to make the air wash work effectively.
I have not heard of anyone with an ECO 65 that has a clean glass, I think the air wash was a good try but is not effective..

Status
Not open for further replies.