Drolet Myriad or Englander / Summers Heat NC 30 or ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every stove has an intake air control by which one controls the fire. Nothing at all special there at all. But if you're sold on the Drolet Myriad, go for it and let us know how it works out.

Well crap... now I'm in a pickle.

I emailed Drolet about some more specs and what not... it ends up that the Myriad only has an estimated burn time around 3-7 hours (and the guy mentioned that the top of the stove isn't intended for cooking).

Then I read a few places that said that specs from the manufacturer are mostly marketing and that I should just decide based on the size of the firebox (although, I'm not sure how the Drolet could have such a short burn time with such a large firebox).

Now I don't even know what my options are. I can't go with the Drolet, because that burn time is way too short. I can't go with the 13-NC because the firebox is too small and my house is not well insulated. I'm still under the impression that the 30-NC is too big, which (according to the "only pay attention to the firebox" theory) is probably true, since my current stove is 2.5 cu. and it roasts the room it's in, so the 30-NC's firebox would probably make the room feel like the surface of the sun.

So I guess my new question is... what's a good stove with a ~2.5 cu. ft. firebox that I can snag for under $1000 (which also has good burn times)?

WATYF

btw, I heard from more than just the manufacturer that Drolets tended to have shorter burn times... several reviews stated this as well. The odd thing is, this article says that firebox is a pretty good indication of burn time (which makes sense) and that a 3+ cu ft. firebox should get 9-12 hours.... how can the Drolet be THAT far off from the expected burn time for a 3+ cu ft firebox??

WATYF

WATYF said:
Well crap... now I'm in a pickle.

I emailed Drolet about some more specs and what not... it ends up that the Myriad only has an estimated burn time around 3-7 hours (and the guy mentioned that the top of the stove isn't intended for cooking).

Then I read a few places that said that specs from the manufacturer are mostly marketing and that I should just decide based on the size of the firebox (although, I'm not sure how the Drolet could have such a short burn time with such a large firebox).

Now I don't even know what my options are. I can't go with the Drolet, because that burn time is way too short. I can't go with the 13-NC because the firebox is too small and my house is not well insulated. I'm still under the impression that the 30-NC is too big, which (according to the "only pay attention to the firebox" theory) is probably true, since my current stove is 2.5 cu. and it roasts the room it's in, so the 30-NC's firebox would probably make the room feel like the surface of the sun.

So I guess my new question is... what's a good stove with a ~2.5 cu. ft. firebox that I can snag for under $1000 (which also has good burn times)?

WATYF

I have a Drolet Mirad in my camp and it works great. It burns just as long as any other similar sized stove, we have cooked many meals and fried up many frying pans of deer steak on that Drolet.

One thing to keep in mind the Drolet comes with a blower that others charge around $200 or more for. It also has a by-pass damper for quick start ups and smoke free reloads. You won't be disappointed with it.

dang... an actual real-world owner... I hardly know what to do with myself. :)

So you say you're just using it outside (open air)? I don't reckon that would affect the burn time really. Although, I'm looking for at least 8 hours... would you say it could handle that? If so (and if you can actually cook on it), then they need to fire whoever responded to my email, because he just about scared me away from their whole product line.

WATYF

No, it heats the inside of my camp, cottage, vacation home or what ever you want to call it. It's a poorly insulated 16'x32' bulding and I've stayed in it during the winter with -20f night time temps. and stayed toasty all night. I don't know why you couldn't cook on a heavy plate steel top stove? might ding up the paint a little I guess.

A lone voice in the wilderness here. but I love my kodiak insert. can`t truthfully speak to burntime cause I have only had it since first week of april. so not really a good test run. but did manage 6.5 hours with softwood. and a 2.5 cu. ft firebox. with hardwood to burn you will most certainly do better. I like the 5/16 steel on the top and 1/4 on the sides and back. but then again, I just like things that are built scookum.

The same thing in a stove looks like around $1600 with blower. A few more bucks, but quality,quality. And awesome heat output. Just my cdn.2 cents worth. ;-)

They look ugly on their website, cause they appear gray, which they are not! They are the same black as my avatar.

Yeah... I had seen some of your posts. I ran across the Kodiak 1700 freestanding while looking for a 2.5 cu ft firebox... only problem is finding a place that sells them. Can find any online, and the nearest one to me is a few hours away.

WATYF

WATYF said:
Yeah... I had seen some of your posts. I ran across the Kodiak 1700 freestanding while looking for a 2.5 cu ft firebox... only problem is finding a place that sells them. Can find any online, and the nearest one to me is a few hours away.

WATYF

The drive might be worth it. Local dealer here wanted 1987 and I drove the extra hour and picked it up (cash and carry) for 1589. almost a 400 dollar savings. Got my local sweep to install it for a hundred bucks. local dealer wanted 450 for the install.

A buck saved is an extra buck in Your Pocket.!! Don`t know how long you are planning on staying in your present home? but if you want lasting quality? this one is certainly worth the recon.

WATYF said:
OK. I will keep that in mind. Only thing is, I can get the Drolet Myriad shipped for about $850... that's why I keep coming back to that one. :)

WATYF

Well, get that puppy on its way! We have a saying at the poker table. "Think long. Think wrong."

A fan from far left end of hallway blowing towards LR & one at right opening of hearth room
blowing towards HR.

BrotherBart said:
WATYF said:
OK. I will keep that in mind. Only thing is, I can get the Drolet Myriad shipped for about $850... that's why I keep coming back to that one. :)

WATYF

Well, get that puppy on its way! We have a saying at the poker table. "Think long. Think wrong."

Yeah... I have a curse. I can't even buy a candy bar without evaluating my options for at least an hour or so. :eek:P

WATYF

One thing I would suggest is to call England's Stove Works tech support at (800) 245-6489 and ask any questions about their stove. Get a feel for how you feel concerning their support of their stoves versus how you were responded to in the call to Drolet.

I bet the guys at ESW will tell ya that throwing a live chicken on top of a burning 30 is fine as long as you have the windows open and the biscuits and gravy are done.

Don't call the sales number. They are clueless, if your daddy's name isn't Lowe's or Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.