Drolet Tundra main pipe rust holes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matt78

Burning Hunk
Jan 28, 2015
New Washington , Ohio
Has anyone experienced this with their Tundra/Heatmax? Rust holes in the main 6" exhaust pipe! I contacted SBI to see what they could do.
1031201106a.jpg
1031201106b.jpg

They've seen it before I'm sure...it happens on the Caddy's too...

Hmmm...not good! I had it happen on two fire boxes. I ended up doing stainless and insulating the area that goes through the cold air return and it fixed ours. Is that area of pipe exposed to the cold air return? Could you take a picture further back to show the setup?

Reactions: Gearhead660
Hmmm...not good! I had it happen on two fire boxes. I ended up doing stainless and insulating the area that goes through the cold air return and it fixed ours. Is that area of pipe exposed to the cold air return? Could you take a picture further back to show the setup?

I believe so

In that first picture. The hole would be about 5" from where the stove pipe hooks up to the back of the furnace. So inside of the air box yes

Just weld it shut you think?
I'd be tempted to cut a piece of sheet metal (stainless would be best) the right dimensions to wrap the pipe...smear a bunch of furnace cement on it, wrap it around the pipe, then clamp in place with a large gear drive hose clamp...

Is that area of pipe exposed to the cold air return?
No, there is no cold air return on a Tundra, just a blower in a box with a filter mounted on the side...

Around here we have the amish which make 6" stainless pipe. I cut ours into the hot side of the furnace and riveted it in place, then wrapped mineral wool and another piece of stainless. Didn't cost much to do. It makes sense, the warm moist air was coming in contact with cool steel causing condensation and corrosion. I've realized no part of the exhaust should be exposed to the return air. They redesigned the Caddy to eliminate this type of setup.

No, there is no cold air return on a Tundra, just a blower in a box with a filter mounted on the side...
Hmmmm....not sure then? I know Yukon went with a stainless exchanger......I'm sure this was why.

Hmmmm....not sure then? I know Yukon went with a stainless exchanger......I'm sure this was why.
Yeah, that and their penchant for making creosote...

Here is the picture of the rear end. You see the cold air return box and the pipe out the back of the furnace. The hole is 5" from the end of pipe. Is the furnace split into two parts. Front end goes out hot & the backend comes in cool? I think this Might be the last year for the tundra!!
1031201645.jpg

Around here we have the amish which make 6" stainless pipe. I cut ours into the hot side of the furnace and riveted it in place, then wrapped mineral wool and another piece of stainless. Didn't cost much to do. It makes sense, the warm moist air was coming in contact with cool steel causing condensation and corrosion. I've realized no part of the exhaust should be exposed to the return air. They redesigned the Caddy to eliminate this type of setup.
This isn't what I wanted to hear. My Caddy is about 10 years old and this is the setup I have. From looking at the picture though, I could of swore the exhaust pipe on my furnace is a lot thicker though. I want to say it's 3/16 to maybe 1/4 thick.

@laynes69 when did you have to fix yours ?

I want to say it's 3/16 to maybe 1/4 thick.
From what I remember when I went to Lehman's a few years back to give a Caddy the eagle eye in comparison to the Tundra, the center tube is probably not more than 1/8", if that.

Reactions: sloeffle
My tubes were about 1/16th of an inch thick. I think I repaired it last year. The tubes on the hot side were solid, but the return tube had holes in the bottom.

Reactions: sloeffle and andym
My tubes were about 1/16th of an inch thick. I think I repaired it last year. The tubes on the hot side were solid, but the return tube had holes in the bottom.

Just the center tube have holes? Or the side tubes also?

The tubes on the hot side were solid, but the return tube had holes in the bottom.
The back of the center tube (right before it connects to the stove pipe) is where I always noticed it looked a little more rusty/crusty when cleaning the HX (which for those not familiar, the center tube is part of) on my old Tundra, and still on my sisters Tundra too...

It was only on the center tube on the bottom.

From what I remember when I went to Lehman's a few years back to give a Caddy the eagle eye in comparison to the Tundra, the center tube is probably not more than 1/8", if that.
You have me curious now. I'll have to take it off before I start burning this year and take a look.

It was only on the center tube on the bottom.

I did some more inspection tonight and noticed I have holes on the top also! I guess I'll see what Drolet says. Not sure if they'll stand behind it or not. I did get a hold of sbimarc and he told me who to get a hold of.

I think if I have to fix it I might use something like the picture. If I can't find it in 6" size, it shouldn't be hrd to make.
Screenshot_2020-11-02-20-25-32.png

I did some more inspection tonight and noticed I have holes on the top also! I guess I'll see what Drolet says. Not sure if they'll stand behind it or not. I did get a hold of sbimarc and he told me who to get a hold of.

I think if I have to fix it I might use something like the picture. If I can't find it in 6" size, it shouldn't be hrd to make.
View attachment 266086
Not sure how long these are...but they are sure cheap, especially for stainless!
Amazon product ASIN B07BJYG2H4

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt78
I made clamps like those out of stainless for our furnace. I riveted a new section of 6" stainless to the steel then wrapped that joint in ceramic wool and clamped.

Just cleaned our Tundra I and this is what our center HX/exhaust pipe looks like. No holes, but some pitting and rusting. It's looked like this since the first burn season after we got it in 2014.

Attachments

• 20201103_160602.jpg
    20201103_160602.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: sloeffle