Drolet unboxing and assembly- extra parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevin588127

Dec 6, 2023
iowa
Getting my drolet alto deco set in place for the chimney guy to come next week. Everything is pretty straightforward with the exception of these stainless steel L brackets. They aren't mentioned anywhere in either of the two manuals and a Google and YouTube search has been no help. Anyone know what these are for?

IMG_20240124_171439179.jpg

Contemporary andirons.

They were not shipped in 2021 with my purchase. I’d like a comment on how useful they are.

They were not shipped in 2021 with my purchase. I’d like a comment on how useful they are.
When installed it's not easy to load the longer splits E/W so I have not burned with them in.
I may try trimming or bending them to make it easier.

edit: cold start is not the problem, reloading a hot stove definately would be

I have an E/W stove and I personally never feel like I wish I had andirons. I'm comfortable loading wood fairly close to the glass. On reloads I just take the extra couple seconds to make sure I have it angled properly so when the bottom piece coals first it all falls into the center on itself. A handful of times a season a piece will roll off into the glass. If I'm there and see it I'll just put it back in place with a welding glove. Its not a big deal though.

Stove glass is ceramic and designed to handle a log rolling into it. Direct blunt force from 3 inches away with no momentum. What it's NOT designed to do is twist and bend. The most common way people break their glass is loading N/S with too long a piece and closing the door on it. You have the momentum of closing the door hitting a tiny corner of a log and/or the force of the latch too and bam cracked glass.

Getting my drolet alto deco set in place for the chimney guy to come next week. Everything is pretty straightforward with the exception of these stainless steel L brackets. They aren't mentioned anywhere in either of the two manuals and a Google and YouTube search has been no help. Anyone know what these are for?

View attachment 323686
Did you also get this piece of stainless with your drolet?
Image.jpeg
Image (1).jpeg

Drolet HT-3000. Not obvious what it is for - may have to contact support
Look like trim bling for the front edge of the ash lip.
PL70849 ASHTRAY DECORATIVE MOULDING

Look like trim bling for the front edge of the ash lip.
PL70849 ASHTRAY DECORATIVE MOULDING
I think you're right, thanks! Excited to get it installed and fired up. Being installed in the basement and will be asked to heat ~2400sq ft

I think you're right, thanks! Excited to get it installed and fired up. Being installed in the basement and will be asked to heat ~2400sq ft
Sounds like a topic for a separate thread. Are the basement walls insulated? Is there an open stairwell close by?

Sounds like a topic for a separate thread. Are the basement walls insulated? Is there an open stairwell close by?
Yes they are, and the stairwell is the main route for heat to get upstairs for sure. Upgrading from a Napoleon 1400 Huntsville which was mostly able to keep up, but not on the coldest days (-20c and below) and wasn't able to provide much in the way of burn time. Hoping the Drolet will be able to look after itself for longer, while providing more heat.

The Escape 1800 doesn't come with it AFAIK.
Copied from Drolet website:

Deco Alto........... Included: pedestal with log storage, rear air deflector, ash lip, ash drawer, air damper
Escape 1800........Included: pedestal with ash drawer, top air deflector, ceramic glass, side panels, ash lip, air damper

Not that an $8 dollar piece is a game changer, but I did already scratch the edge of my ash lip by tapping my tongs on it.

Copied from Drolet website:

Deco Alto........... Included: pedestal with log storage, rear air deflector, ash lip, ash drawer, air damper
Escape 1800........Included: pedestal with ash drawer, top air deflector, ceramic glass, side panels, ash lip, air damper

Not that an $8 dollar piece is a game changer, but I did already scratch the edge of my ash lip by tapping my tongs on it.
An ash lip is not the same as a decorative trim moulding

An ash lip is not the same as a decorative trim moulding
Yes I know. I was pointing out that neither model has this moulding as "included". Apparently it is an option only and the OP was lucky enough to get it as a bonus with his order.

Yes I know. I was pointing out that neither model has this moulding as "included". Apparently it is an option only and the OP was lucky enough to get it as a bonus with his order.
It is listed as a part in the parts list for the HT3000. AFAIK, it is not an option for the other two stoves.

Reactions: oilcan1001