Drolet...which model is best?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's not going to take a lot of heat for a house that small. The Spark or Pyropak would be plenty. You also might want to look at a small cat stove like the Woodstock Survival Hybrid.

Reactions: mountain man 2
It's not going to take a lot of heat for a house that small. The Spark or Pyropak would be plenty. You also might want to look at a small cat stove like the Woodstock Survival Hybrid.
Thanks! Wow that Survival Hybrid stove is really nice looking and sounds like a great stove; I cannot find any prices on that website--I emailed them."Low-cost" is relative...!

$1657 with Free shipping until end of month.

thank you--I guess I didn't look hard enough----that is affordable for me I guess, it sounds like it is super well made and high quality design and efficient,,,,,,and small....I will let you know if I get it :)
I know why I couldn't find that b/c my computer is restricting me from the "catalog" link for some reason...

I own the drolet escape 1800. It works great, is made well, meets 2020 standards, and is a very good value. Drolet makes an escape 1500 for smaller areas. I would not hesitate to purchase a drolet.

Arg, the free shipping was only until Sept 27th....
If you are ready to buy, give them a call and tell them the catalog wouldn't load. Maybe they will extend the deal for you.

Reactions: WinterinWI
Is your entire home just 600 sf? Or is the stove room 600? That’s small!

I own the drolet escape 1800. It works great, is made well, meets 2020 standards, and is a very good value. Drolet makes an escape 1500 for smaller areas. I would not hesitate to purchase a drolet.

That ^

Or, if you want to save money, look at Century which is also made by SBI. In the same factory, with same metal, and welders as Drolet.

Reactions: Mech e
If you are ready to buy, give them a call and tell them the catalog wouldn't load. Maybe they will extend the deal for you.
Talked to a representative, the sale is still going even though the date has passed! I put one on reservation for now to get my foot in the door. I am trying to decide between a Drolet, this Survival Hybrid, and the Alderlea T4...

Is your entire home just 600 sf? Or is the stove room 600? That’s small!
My entire house is 567 square feet! I have 2 porches front and back that are not counted in the square footage cuz they are 3 season. Yeah, it is a small house! It is currently not insulated (there is some in the attic but not in the sides) and I am planning on insulating it. I want to get the right size stove, but I also like to be really cozy and warm in the winter inside....

Reactions: Highbeam
I looked on the other discussions about the vermiculite baffle in the Drolet's, and the contaminated vermiculite issue from years ago. I understand that the vermiculite thing was from a certain mine that is no longer being mined, but how do we know other mines are not contaminated?

I looked on the other discussions about the vermiculite baffle in the Drolet's, and the contaminated vermiculite issue from years ago. I understand that the vermiculite thing was from a certain mine that is no longer being mined, but how do we know other mines are not contaminated?

Don’t lick the baffle. It’s inside the firebox and should never become airborne.

I live in the Sierra Foothills. The large rocks in this area contain asbestos. Lots of uproar for a year or two with research. Hundreds of expensive, $800k to 1.5 million dollar, homes have been built since then as the conclusion was dont eat the rock in large quantities.

The Escape 1800 is a bit large for this application. It has about twice the fuel capacity of the Pyropak. The Alderlea T4 or a Jotul F45 would be a better choice.

The Escape 1800 is a bit large for this application. It has about twice the fuel capacity of the Pyropak. The Alderlea T4 or a Jotul F45 would be a better choice.

Yes, I agree. I mentioned in my post that drolet now has an escape 1500 which is a smaller version of the 1800.

When I upgraded my stove, one of the requirements I had was 2020 epa compliance. If I was going to replace my old unit, I wanted a stove that meet the latest standards.

Last edited:
I live in the Sierra Foothills. The large rocks in this area contain asbestos. Lots of uproar for a year or two with research. Hundreds of expensive, $800k to 1.5 million dollar, homes have been built since then as the conclusion was dont eat the rock in large quantities.
Nice---

Dont know. I never tasted the rock ;)

Hey Be Green---I just want to thank you for recommending the Survival Hybrid by Woodstock Soapstone last year---after much deliberation, I bought one and got it delivered recently and am having it installed next week---here's a photo. I am happy with the look of it and am excited to use it this winter.

Attachments

• 20200505_192300.jpg
    20200505_192300.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200505_192310.jpg
    20200505_192310.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 169
Great! Keep us posted on how it works out for you.