Drying Time - Tossed in a Pile Vs. Stacked Neatly in a Row???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief Jags . . . didn't realize you were living in such a tree-less like area . . . it's like you're living in a green grass desert . . . maybe we should all take up a collection and start a Firewood-For-Jags foundation. ;)

firefighterjake said:
Good grief Jags . . . didn't realize you were living in such a tree-less like area . . . it's like you're living in a green grass desert . . . maybe we should all take up a collection and start a Firewood-For-Jags foundation. ;)

I know. Round here we call it "Farm Land". At this years average of 210+ bushels of corn per acre, it is one of the highest producing areas in the world. We only let trees grow on crappy land. :lol:

Jags, whereabouts in Northern IL do you live (I won't stalk or steal wood- promise)? It's flat around me, but living in a small town (Libertyville), we have lots of trees. Within 5 miles the farms are still up and running and it looks like your backyard.

jdinspector said:
Jags, whereabouts in Northern IL do you live (I won't stalk or steal wood- promise)? It's flat around me, but living in a small town (Libertyville), we have lots of trees. Within 5 miles the farms are still up and running and it looks like your backyard.

Are you the libertyville 60048? If so I live 90 miles west and 15 miles south of you. And your idea of a small town is alot different than mine. Heck, your a burb of N Chicago. Nearest town is 250 people. Next nearest is 200 and they are separated by 5 miles of farm land.

Yes, 60048. It's a suburb, but compared to closer in 'burbs, it's practically the country! It's a good place for me. Kids walk to school, a local bar about 3-4 blocks away, restaurants within walking distance. Yet I can still have a crap load of wood in my backyard, burn 24/7 and not get any hassles from neighbors. They "get it".

jdinspector said:
Yes, 60048. It's a suburb, but compared to closer in 'burbs, it's practically the country! It's a good place for me. Kids walk to school, a local bar about 3-4 blocks away, restaurants within walking distance. Yet I can still have a crap load of wood in my backyard, burn 24/7 and not get any hassles from neighbors. They "get it".

Awesome. Hey, I have always said "If it works for you..."

This is interesting. Several days ago I took a couple hand trucks worth of black birch that came from the bottom of my big pile. Most of it was covered in mud, but I brought it inside anyway, stacked it about 3' away from the stove, and filled the rest of the rack with stuff that sat in stacks since April. Well, this morning I finally got down to the layer of dirty wood, so I knocked off the dried-out mud and threw a few splits on the concrete floor. It had that distinctive sound like someone had a strike at the bowling alley.

CRACK! No dull clunking sound at all from any of it. Stuff felt dry as dry can be, ends were well checked, and no sign of punkiness at all, just a tiny bit of white surface mold in a few spots. When I threw it onto a nice bed of coals it ignited almost instantly. Now the stove is throwing great gobs of heat, way too hot for a day like this (near 50º).

This is during the wettest summer I can remember in at least 20 years. Makes no sense to me, but I can't deny what I see. This stuff dried almost as well as the same stuff I stacked. I am gathering more and more respect for the heapenhausen, so much that I may start making the real thing. Gotta admit a hotzhausen is way prettier than a single-row stack. :coolsmile:

Stacked off the ground...

Battenkiller said:
I am gathering more and more respect for the heapenhausen

Wood'll rot before it ever dries in a pile :coolsmirk:

I've had a similar experience several times. Leaving that wood by the stove really helps I think.

Battenkiller said:
SolarAndWood said:
Battenkiller said:

I know, I know, but my wood just ain't doing what we know it will.

Solar - if we get BK on our side - we can RULE THE WORLD. BwaaHAHAhA. BWAAHAHAHA. :snake:

Jags said:
Battenkiller said:
SolarAndWood said:
Battenkiller said:

I know, I know, but my wood just ain't doing what we know it will.

Solar - if we get BK on our side - we can RULE THE WORLD. BwaaHAHAhA. BWAAHAHAHA. :snake:

lol, we don't already? I think my next evolution is going to be a 3 metal fence sided shed that I can drive the little loader in on the fourth side. I figure then it comes right off the splitter into the shed, gets heaped up 10' or so by the loader and then sits there until I am ready to come get it and put it in the stove. Same advantages as the heap but I think I can cut out a few handling steps and never stack.

As long as we do what works for us, hard to argue with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.