Duct Kit Efficiency?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGyver

Oct 15, 2014
Blind River, ON
I've been avoiding these forums like the plague because I'm trying hard not to think about winter at the moment. :)

With my first winter with the Eco-65 under my belt, I realize I need to make some more adjustments. I have an unfinished basement and I'm simply having too much trouble getting the heat to get upstairs to the main level. Has anyone here used the duct kits that they sell for the eco-65 and can you tell me how efficient they are at circulating the heat upstairs?

Have you tried searching the threads on the Eco-65? (box upper right) Not sure how much conversation there has been on the ducting kits... as far as distribution. I know there were some problems with sensors so they would be a good bunch of threads to look at. Good luck!

Thanks bogieb! Very little time lately as prepping yard for wedding on Sunday...

That was the best one I could find too, bogieb. Thanks!

This response in that thread was particularly helpful:

"I ducted my Eco 65 using the kit along with my own 18" section of metal duct and insulated flex duct to the floor vents. Two runs from the stove in the basement feed two floor vents on main level. The runs range from approximately 12 feet to 25 feet. I installed a Y with manual dampers in the original ducting so I can control the source of the air flow (either from the 65 or central system) to the noted vents. I also installed an 8-inch in-line duct fan (each at 250 cfm, as I recall) in each run from the 65. The fans are on a switch.

Air flow at the vents is notably less than flow from the central heat system, but is also notably warmer. The floor vents are located at the end of a relatively long room. I use a small Vornado fan at the other end of the room to circulate the warm air. The room consistently heats to 69-70 with the stove set on level 2."

I think there is a video on Youtube with that stove and a ducting kit. I could be wrong but you can check. I might have it confused with an Enviro. Either way even with a different brand the principles and function would be the same. Might learn something there from that video. i know I saw one there last year but not really certain which make and model it was.

Insulating your basement would likely help too. There are many discussions here on basement installs etc;

Reactions: bogieb
Insulating your basement would likely help too. There are many discussions here on basement installs etc;

Great point Bags. I had kind of glossed over that part of his post. Yep, insulating the basement will definitely help. The foundation sucks up a lot of heat. As a short term solution I used foam insulation boards to insulate mine and that made a big difference. If you go this route, just be aware of clearances from heat sources (they worry more about outgassing from the foam than anything) and that you codes probably call for covering with a class 1 fire break. I used foil covered radiant barrier for that. Eventually I will get around to sheet rocking, but for now that is what works.

Reactions: Lake Girl

"I ducted my Eco 65 using the kit along with my own 18" section of metal duct and insulated flex duct to the floor vents. Two runs from the stove in the basement feed two floor vents on main level. The runs range from approximately 12 feet to 25 feet. I installed a Y with manual dampers in the original ducting so I can control the source of the air flow (either from the 65 or central system) to the noted vents. I also installed an 8-inch in-line duct fan (each at 250 cfm, as I recall) in each run from the 65. The fans are on a switch.

Air flow at the vents is notably less than flow from the central heat system, but is also notably warmer. The floor vents are located at the end of a relatively long room. I use a small Vornado fan at the other end of the room to circulate the warm air. The room consistently heats to 69-70 with the stove set on level 2."

That was my post and I'm glad it helped. If I can be of any additional help, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm happy to send pics, or whatever. I agonized over "efficiency" for the first two winters I had the 65. I'm happy with my current setup, and think I've just about optimized it. Now, I now I just burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.