Duraplus Insulated triple wall running through masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we are all adults here, and we fully understand what is being explained, but there is no reason to thrash people. We are just men talking about mechanical things and we should show respect to all. Some people need to get off their high horse.
And no many people do not fully understand the things we are discussing. And that can be very dangerous. It wasnt to long ago you came to this forum completly clueless about your setup. Yet now you act like you know more than those of us who have been doing it for years. I agree home in pa was to harsh but then you went into a rant about the whole construction feild.

Yes, we are all adults here, and we fully understand what is being explained, but there is no reason to thrash people. We are just men talking about mechanical things and we should show respect to all. Some people need to get off their high horse.

We need to realize and remember that this site is meant to be educational, informative, sharing and fun. I understand that in some cases when members are not (completely) accepting what the pro's on this site try to explain, things can heat up easily. But again, @HomeinPA and @bholler are just trying to help. But we all should be careful what language to use.

Reactions: bholler
And no many people do not fully understand the things we are discussing. And that can be very dangerous. It wasnt to long ago you came to this forum completly clueless about your setup. Yet now you act like you know more than those of us who have been doing it for years. I agree home in pa was to harsh but then you went into a rant about the whole construction feild.

Yes of course I have learned a lot from you guys and by no means do I think I know a 10th of what you know about your trade, my first statement was to put things into perspective, most of us men are in the construction trades and like having fun in our shops, welding, wood working and so on, a forum should be about men showing off their work and when they get dog piled on it just isn't fun. Remember we are really just sharing our installs with you guys, we are not trying to say your stupid, or don't know your craft, and you also need to relize we are not stupid either. We are just learning and asking questions.

Last edited:
Yes of course I have learned a lot from you guys and by no means do I think I know a 10th of what you know about your trade, my first statement was to put things into perspective, most of us men are in the construction trades and like having fun in our shops, welding, wood working and so on, a forum should be about men showing off their work and when they get dog piled on it just isn't fun. Remember we are really just sharing our installs with you guys, we are not trying to say your stupid, or don't know your craft, and you also need to relize we are not stupid either. We are just learning.
People also come here for advice when they dont know what they are doing. And i dont want someone to come here and think that this is the correct way to line a chimney because it isnt. In this field when things are done wrong there can be disastrous results. I know i can be overly harsh at times but we are dealing with a fire in peoples houses. And that needs to be taken very seriously. In this case i was very clear that it probably is perfectly safe. But it is not code compliant at all and that can pose its own list of problems. So yes we can have some fun but dont forget we are dealing with peoples lives here.

Reactions: Mark8
Funny how most of the content I've read on this site was all good natured fire lovers helping out. I decide to join, and in my first post find myself in the middle of a war! All of us tradesman work our asses off, respect due all around. Some of my "engineering" is a bit outside the box, I got called out on it, that's what this post was for. We're all monkeys, and I tend to feel like geniuses spend their time and efforts elsewhere. I tend to put a lot of pride in my projects, so having professionals judge them is all part of the game. It helps me figure out what to do better next time.

People also come here for advice when they dont know what they are doing. And i dont want someone to come here and think that this is the correct way to line a chimney because it isnt. In this field when things are done wrong there can be disastrous results. I know i can be overly harsh at times but we are dealing with a fire in peoples houses. And that needs to be taken very seriously. In this case i was very clear that it probably is perfectly safe. But it is not code compliant at all and that can pose its own list of problems. So yes we can have some fun but dont forget we are dealing with peoples lives here.

Adding to the above, I installed 2 wood stoves myself (an amateur). One with a Class A chimney with all the required heat protecting shields etc, completely up to code, thanks to this site. My masonry install was different. I had my chimney checked by 2 sweeps and was "good to go". Installed an uninsulated liner myself and after asking @bholler, I realized I better should have insulated the liner from the get go. I have no cracks or lost mortar in my terracotta tiles, but I learned I should have insulated the liner. What I did was to add Roxul bottom up and top down around the liner. I am almost convinced it is insulated for 80%, considering a 20 feet liner. Now I am still thinking to pull the liner and install a pre-insulated liner. All of this because I am on here and I asked questions to pros like @bholler and others. That is why they are on this site, to educate us.

EDIT: and because of this "rookie mistake" I made, I have to spend hundreds of dollars more to do it right.

Reactions: bholler
Funny how most of the content I've read on this site was all good natured fire lovers helping out. I decide to join, and in my first post find myself in the middle of a war! All of us tradesman work our asses off, respect due all around. Some of my "engineering" is a bit outside the box, I got called out on it, that's what this post was for. We're all monkeys, and I tend to feel like geniuses spend their time and efforts elsewhere. I tend to put a lot of pride in my projects, so having professionals judge them is all part of the game. It helps me figure out what to do better next time.
Mark seems to enjoy picking fights with the pros here for some reason. I did not intend to offend you in any way and i took no offence from anything you said. It seems you did come up with a fairly safe way to do it. I just hope you never have an insurance claim because it could be an issue. Well i hope you dont have a claim regardless.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Mark seems to enjoy picking fights with the pros here for some reason. I did not intend to offend you in any way and i took no offence from anything you said. It seems you did come up with a fairly safe way to do it. I just hope you never have an insurance claim because it could be an issue. Well i hope you dont have a claim regardless.

NO, you were being respectful, Homeinpa is the one who railed all over the OP for no good reason, no man should have to grovel at the feet of others when they are learning. I've been in the construction trade all my life and always thought that childish behavior should have no place in these trades.

NO, you were being respectful, Homeinpa is the one who railed all over the OP for no good reason, no man should have to grovel at the feet of others when they are learning. I've been in the construction trade all my life and always thought that childish behavior should have no place in these trades.

Okay, we all said what we wanted to vent ;). Can we leave it here and move on? Or, if you want to, PM individual members.

No offense taken, gotta love the wonders of the Internet. Thanks for all of the interest and constructive criticism. I can only imagine what you guys would say about the work the last guy did on the house. I call him the drunk guy with a hammer. The gas insert I pulled out that's been going for 20 years had a 4 inch liner squished down to 2 inches through the damper!

For what it's worth, I feel super grateful to @HomeinPA, @bholler, @begreen, @Jan Pijpelink and many others here who take the time to educate, inform, question, inquire, and engage around the issues that come up on this site. I'm a pretty handy guy who likes to work on my house and who likes to be informed. I try to do the jobs I can researching the best way to do them, and I try to know my limitations and when to call in a pro. I worry about insurance and making sure things are right so I don't have a problem at any point, and most importantly, I worry about safety for me and my family. I had almost half a dozen chimney industry "professionals" tell me to do the wrong thing, ("you don't need an insulated liner," "a block off plate is unnecessary"...), and asking a million questions here before doing the work saved my behind! It also helped me know when I had hired pros who really knew and cared about their work, versus folks who just wanted to take my money and get in and out as quick and easily as possible. And, it also helped me know which jobs I could do for the fun and love of it and to keep costs down. I continue to ask a million questions here, and sometimes I wonder if some of the questions are dumb or annoying or have already been answered here before and I just didn't search enough, but each time people here who know a great deal come out to respond and engage in helping me (and others reading a thread) and figure out the issue in the best way possible. I also believe that at some point someone might read one of my threads or posts and learn something to help with a project or answer a question, either through something I wrote or one of the responses. So, to sum up, just showing some gratitude and appreciation! And, by the way, it's also pretty fun ranting with all of you!

The point of this site is to aid and educate. Sometimes it's hard to do with just a typewritten word. And harder yet after a few beers. :confused:

This horse has been beaten to death. Closing the thread. Burn safely Caught the Flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.