Ashful Posted By Ashful, Jul 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM

1. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    My somewhat unwarranted impression is that once EAB has done it’s damage, it moves on. This brings up a question for any wood harvester, in terms of dragging the pest onto their own property, within legal county or state-wide quarantine limits.

I have a friend who’s property has been completely devastated by EAB. Meanwhile, I’ve been treating my trees, and have been holding the pest at bay with pretty good success. So, if I bring several cords of dead ash from his property to mine, what are the chances I’m going to be hauling home a bunch of borers?

Yes, I realize they’re already all around me, but at the same time, I would like to avoid bringing home hundreds or thousands of these pests, and stacking them directly under my own ash trees. Insecticides can be effective, on my mostlty-healthy trees, but only within some reasonable limits.

Has anyone seen published data indicating how many years dead an ash tree should be, before it’s considered borer-free?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TedyOH

TedyOH
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2015
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I cut one up last year that was standing dead for about 5 years....when i was splitting it one landed on my arm. Coincidence? Don't know..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tadmaz

tadmaz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Erin, WI
    Here is my experience. Wood cut in March is now seeing full adult borers bore their way out of splits that have been stacked since April. I also cut down a totally dead ash tree and within a few weeks of the rounds sitting in my garage a whole bunch of adult borers are all over my garage. I have 5 acres of woods with only a couple of ash trees, so I took the risk and sure enough I'm sure I've brought some to my area. There are tons of dead ash trees all over when driving within a mile though.

4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Thanks, guys. Is there a time of year when the trees can be assumed borer-free, or at least egg-free?

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Yeah the only time I've seen the Ash borer bug around my house was when I was bucking/splitting EAB killed Ash...

6. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Conclusion?

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    They were hiding in the wood I was working up

8. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    As others have stated I only have noticed them, when cutting and splitting. I think the safest time would be in the dead of winter with the cold. But that is just because they would be dormint. Just my thoughts.

9. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Some battles are not worth fighting. Pumping poison into the ground to hold off the inevitable seems an exception to generally intelligent behavior. Particularly if you have a well. You have lemons, make lemonade. Bring the ash in, burn it up, then, cut down yours as they die, and burn them, too. Then get on with it, and plant the future.

Kenny Rogers provided you game plan- know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run...

Stinkpickle, Slocum and heavy hammer like this.
  10. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, I've been struggling with this. But make no mistake, I am NOT using root soak technique. I'm doing basal trunk spray, only. This should vastly reduce the amount of chemical that makes it into the soil, but it does rely heavily on me getting the application timing just right.

... and thanks for calling me "generally intelligent." ;lol

ED 3000 likes this.
  11. beatlefan

beatlefan
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Urbana, Ohio
    I just picked up a cord of ash rounds that were cut and stacked at least one year ago. It was old enough that the bark was peeling off in places. When I split it up this weekend, I saw at least one adult EAB while processing it.

12. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Hmm. Not good, beetlefan. The place where I cut has room for me to leave the logs lay a year, so I was thinking that’d be my plan. I could even buck down to rounds, but that would make hailing them home slow and painful, as I can move logs much easier than rounds. These are four ash trees with about 80 feet of clean 24” diameter trunk, each. Perfect firewood, if not for this damn bug.

I wonder how they’d react to dinotefuran in a dead log?

13. vtwoodheater

vtwoodheater
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2015
    Loc:
    central VT
    I just split some ash yesterday that had been stacked in rounds since last september. 24" diameter or so, bark falling off, drier than heck. Had full grown beetles, larvae? stage, and holes bored all through it. Started moving around once I started splitting, stacking.

This is going to sit outside for two years before I get to it, so hopefully no more bugs.

14. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Wow... what an amazing bugger this EAB is. Devastating.

15. ben94122

ben94122
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 4, 2017
    Loc:
    California
    Here in California, we can completely tarp piles with clear plastic (akin to making a solar kiln, but without the ventilation) to kill the bark beetles which are decimating our ponderosa pine forests.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/downloads/tree_notes/treenote3.pdf

A similar method may work for emerald ash borers as well if you get the temperatures inside the wood high enough to kill the beetles, although it didn't work in at least one study

https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/disturbance/invasive_species/eab/control_management/survival_in_firewood/

The difference may be that bark beetles are just under the bark, and EAB bore deeply into the wood; recommendations to kill EAB are a core temperature of only 140 degrees F for 60 minutes, which seems achievable in a solar kiln.

16. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    That's how I described your general behavior. Even if I knew you well, I'd not comment on you, I'm completely unqualified.

Glad to hear you're not using the ground soaking technique. Long after I'd moved out of their house, my parents did, to try to save some long-gone hemlocks that had an adelgid infestation. Right above their well-head. I was upset about it when I found out.