Ecofan on an Empress FS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
In the attempt to move some of the hot air around, I saw this product.

Ecofan is a heat-powered fan designed to circulate the warm air created by a woodstove operating with normal surface temperatures.

Has anyone used these?

A & B. Intended for wood-burning stoves, the medium-size model can produce up to 100 CFM of air movement, stands 8" tall, and has an 8" diameter brass blade, while the large model can produce up to 150 CFM of air movement, stands 9" tall, and has an 8" diameter brass tri-blade. Both models operate on surface temperatures between 400° and 650°F (205° to 345°C).

C. The Ecofan™ GS is specifically for gas stoves, which operate at lower temperatures than wood-burning stoves. It has a base designed for greater heat conduction and two thermoelectric modules (the others have only one) to create enough electricity to run the motor.

6-1/2" tall, it has an 8" diameter brass blade. Operates on surface temperatures between 150° and 300°F (65° to 150°C) and circulates up to 150 CFM. Cannot be used on wood stoves (the high heat causes an overload switch to trip).

I would guess that I would need the C option ...but not sure.

Hmm, I've got an Empress as well and I've noted that it doesn't get too terrible hot above the stove (i.e. the hopper door). I'm wondering if there would be enough heat output in that direction to "fuel" the fan. I'd be interested in feedback if anybody's used this...

smithmal

Saw these for the first time the other day as well, pricey little things aren't they(at least up here). As above I am curious if there is enough heat from the stove top to actually power the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.