eko 40 draft inducer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have one on my boiler. They must go on the flue pipe or directly on the flue pipe connection on the boiler.Somebody on here added one on their boiler a while ago,you could try searching.Its my understanding that the inducer aids at startup and prevents smoke when loading.

It hooks right off the back of your boiler then run your chminey pipe off of the draft inducer. If its the big box one it does not really help much.

taxidermist said:
It hooks right off the back of your boiler then run your chminey pipe off of the draft inducer. If its the big box one it does not really help much.

+1. I am running the EKO inducer and it's not exactly "great" nor was it worth the money spent. But if you have it and you've already paid for it I would certainly install it. I have mine about 2' downstream from the boiler in my flue. Note the change in diameter when planning your pipe job...

I guess the larger size goes on the boiler side? It seems odd they call for 8" flue then it gets necked down to 6" on the discharge side of the inducer. Or maybe I will skip the inducer . I was planning on using doublewall smoke pipe to keep my clearances down but I dont think if the inducers on there it will pass insp. How bad do they smoke without the inducer.

Huff

huffdawg said:
How bad do they smoke without the inducer.

Huff

Once you get to know your boiler you will have very little problems with smoke. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure it out, it's becomes quite simple. The first year I tweaked my boiler constantly. The second year I didn't adjust anything. Happy burning!

I would install it. As far as how much they smoke.....some say they dont I say they are real bad when loading. People say wait until the fire is burned down to coals but you cant always do that. Mine is in my polebarn and it smells like smoke and fly ash is everywhere after a burning season. Just my $0.02

I think I wont be installing it . friken thing has some sort of odd size diametre on both ends. It will be in an enclosed boiler room on the backend of my shop anyways .
It was part of the package when I bought the boiler . It sure looks like a piece of excretement to me.

I'd install it, they help avoid smoke inside when getting the fire going and get you to gasification sooner. They don't have alot of power though.
When lighting you'll get more smoke inside (even in an outbuilding) than you'd expect.

single wall sheet metal is easy, double wall is a pain. I would put in the venter & use approved clearance reduction methods for stack [example Table 306.6 IMC ] been there done that!!

I added the draft inducer after the first season. It does have an odd diameter on the 8" side - I had to pack that joint with rope gasket. the other side fit well into 7" doublewall black pipe (my chimney is 7" ID). As for effectiveness, it does get things going faster in the firebox but does not really cut down on smoke when loading. Also, it is a pain to clean and the fan blade assembly bent from the heat making it rub on the housing. I had to remove the fan blade assembly and bend it back into shape during my off-season maintenance. I haven't fired the boiler yet this year, so I don't know if it will bend back again.

I would probably still install it, but with the knowledge that it doesn't really work to eliminate smoke in the boiler room. Having a good natural draft is better for this, but in my location natural draft is virtually non-existent.

I think here I will have pretty good natural draft . I have a approximately 22 feet of pipe and chimney combined . Do you still get lots of smoke puffing out with the door just cracked open an inch or two after just lighting it ?
I have used doublewall smoke pipe with stainless on inner pipe.
Also if I use the inducer it will push the boiler forward at least a foot and I kind of dont want to take up more of that door swing clearance.

Cheers

Huff

I get smoke out of the door all of the time without the inducer on, but this is because of the lack of natural draft. If you have good draft you may not experience this; others, including NoFossil, don't have this problem. My issue is that I live at the base of a large hill, surrounded by tall trees, next to a large lake. All of these factors combine to produce a positive pressure (downdraft) in my chimney almost all the time, except when it is very cold outside. I have the same issues with my woodstove but not as severe since I installed a venturi-type chimney cap on that stovepipe.
In my father's house he has the same woodstove setup and actually has too much natural draft. If he were to put in a boiler he would probably have to put in a barometric damper to limit the draft. Several people here have had to do the same. It all comes down to conditions at your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.