Electric bill for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I used a plug in electric meter and it was roughly 40$ from Jan 1 to May1

Mine is costing about $6/month during heating season which is about 6 months long.

Running full bore it's only drawing 300watts my Harmon XXV. So in 10 hours A 300-watt item used for 5 minutes per day will only consume 25-watt hours per day. 25x.06=$1.50 per day.
Is that 300 watts including the ignitor? If so, your usage would be a lot less, since the ignitor runs for a few minutes only on startup.

I'm sorry that I can't directly answer your question, but here's my story:

My stove replaced an electric baseboard and a couple electric space heaters. The first year I used it on Auto ignite, which kicked on the igniter every few hours because the stove would cycle on and off. That year my landlord figured the savings on the electric bill (compared with the previous year) basically paid for the pellets, so we broke even. Since then I've discovered manual mode, so the igniter runs at most twice per day (morning warmup, and bedtime warmup), so we're using a lot less electricity now.

Oh, and I will add that we were always cold with electric heat, and now we're always warm with the pellet stove!

Mine running 24/7 would be about $13 a month. Seems to be about a wash because during heating season I’m running the basement dehumidifier little to none. I don’t consider the igniter because when the stove is running constantly, the igniter only gets used once every week or two after cleaning.

Mine runs $20-40 above running the two stoves on thermostats so they cycle on and off. That is for the coldest months of course.

My Kill-a-Watt says my 6039 is drawing about 150 watts so I'd say 5 bucks a month more. That is total chump change when out electric bill runs around 300-400 a month in the winter, heating stock tanks. I don't even consider the juice usage at all. Not consequential for us. Remember, I don't have Cal Rod ignition either so mine runs on HR1 (low fire maintain) when the T'stat isn't calling for heat.

been on continuously for a week now, mostly on maintenance fire. Consuming 60 pounds of straight pellets every 30 hours (will be on corn-pellet mix when it gets colder out). I won't shut it down now until springtime (other than cleaning and ash removal from the outside clean out Tee.).

House is at 72 and staying there and I mean the entire house, not just the greatroom. I use a Harbor Freight air mover to distribute the heated air throughout the first floor and convection heats the second story.

My hydro bill went drastically down since i do not have to run the blowers on the furnace or dehumidifiers in the house anymore. I save money by running the pellet stove. What i have saved over the last 4 years i could have purchased a brand new stove easily and had change left over to hire someone to install..LOL

Our P43 runs in room temp/manual all winter, only gets shut down once a month for cleaning, roughly $13-$15/mo in electricity cost.

sam

A couple of things to consider on the increase in your electric bill.
1) without the stove running, you would be using your furnace/boiler/baseboards.
all requiring electricity.
2) you are also using more lights.
So your higher bill is not "just" because of the pellet stove..
It would have been a little higher without it, regardless.

Dan
Dan...... You need to change your font color, it's almost unreadable when running the forum in dark mode

My hydro bill went drastically down since i do not have to run the blowers on the furnace or dehumidifiers in the house anymore. I save money by running the pellet stove. What i have saved over the last 4 years i could have purchased a brand new stove easily and had change left over to hire someone to install..LOL
You Canadians really get zapped (pun intended) for electric power. My big drawback with my biomass burner is it drops the RH in the house to a point where I have to supplement the RH with a humidifier and because we have well water with a high dissolved calcium content, I have to purchase bottled water for it and it does get expensive. Been to the grocery when it's on sale in 2.5 gallon containers and loaded a shopping cart with them. I get funny looks with a cart loaded down with nothing but bottled water.

1) without the stove running, you would be using your furnace/boiler/baseboards.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I always enjoy reading your comments. The blue was about unreadable.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Mine running 24/7 would be about $13 a month. Seems to be about a wash because during heating season I’m running the basement dehumidifier little to none. I don’t consider the igniter because when the stove is running constantly, the igniter only gets used once every week or two after cleaning.
We shut our dehumidifier off as well. I've only ran the stove 3 times so far for a couple hours each, and I've noticed there's a lot less water in the bucket every day, so it's about time to unplug it for the winter.

Reactions: Washed-Up

Dan

For those of us working from home, the lights aren't on any more than in summer. I have to keep my dark shades and curtains closed during summer to keep out the solar gain so use lighting pretty much the same. The highest electric bill I had this summer, with the mini-split system going was <$80 and for last month was $66 (used mainly in dehumidify mode).

My mid and late winter electric bills usually run $90-100 but can go up to $110.

That being said, even when considering all costs for running the pellet stoves versus propane - let's just say I paid off the P61a (bought new) in the first year. Since I bought the P43 used, that paid itself off pretty quickly too.

The highest electric bill I had this summer, with the mini-split system going was <$80
My mid and late winter electric bills usually run $90-100 but can go up to $110.
So running the 2 stoves, uses, say, 10-20 bucks more.
So the electricity usage,
is actually maybe the same if you were using a furnace.
So my point was,
that a pellet stove does not increase one's electric bill by much, if at all.. ;)

Dan

Running full bore it's only drawing 300watts my Harmon XXV. So in 10 hours A 300-watt item used for 5 minutes per day will only consume 25-watt hours per day. 25x.06=$1.50 per day.

I am a bit confused here. How are you charged for your electricity? Per watt hour or by kilo-watt hour?

Mine averages 100watts except when igniting, which during the full heating season is only once every couple days, so it's a net electric savings over the electric use of the oil furnace.