Electric heat, looking for opinions on Fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is indeed the problem there. There is one room I MIGHT be able to see the coils, that's above my office. Anything else I definitely can't see. That is after I dig out the insulation, there is around 11" above all rooms in the attic, about 8" above the garage. So if the coils are in the drywall themselves I am definitely screwed.
We had a large room in the house that I grew up in that had the drywall ceiling heat. It was actually pretty nice heat, but that room had well insulated floors. It is almost impossible to know where to cut into once installed and painted over, especially if this is a discontinued product with no guidelines.

Wow I thought a drafty house was bad! What do they call a drafty boat? Sunken would be my guess. Better account for x 22 in my case :) I have the original wood windows, not in too bad of shape either, still on my house. The storm windows could definitely use replaced though.

That is indeed the problem there. There is one room I MIGHT be able to see the coils, that's above my office. Anything else I definitely can't see. That is after I dig out the insulation, there is around 11" above all rooms in the attic, about 8" above the garage. So if the coils are in the drywall themselves I am definitely screwed.

Jimmy
We use a inline fan at my house when it gets super cold.. i dont use mine much just occasionally.
I have a vent in the ceiling near the stove which the warm air is drawn into and it exits out a vent in the master bathroom the air exiting out the vent is somewhere 80 mid 85 degrees
It has no issue on heating the room.. we also have the same setup in both kids bedrooms. It works well. Not super expencive to do.. well worth doing..

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for your input. You have basically validated my concerns are valid; that I should probably look elsewhere for a better house. LOL Seriously though, appreciate it. Peace.