Embers out of blower! Need Help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think that @webby3650 has said that he can burn in excess of 20% with no problem. I like my wood about 18% but 20% isn't a problem. Just takes a little longer to burn in and there is a bit of hissing and maybe a little moisture coming out of the ends of the splits as the wood starts to burn. You can't just test one split, you have to test a bunch, especially the big ones in order to get a good idea where you stand.
You won't get much heat bypassing the cat. These stoves are designed to burn smoke and extract heat in that way. You can burn marginal wood but you might want to pick up some compressed (100%) wood bricks to get you through this season if you find your wood not burning well. We've all been there...and we ain't goin' back! >>

Understood. I may have to buy a load. Ironic as I have tons of wood and several nice red oaks down in my back yard from storm damage. Hopefully by next year I will be good to go.

Problem around here is that people advertise “seasoned” and it’s been split 2 months. Or they assume because a tree was dead/dying it is good to go.

Nonetheless when I get some good seasoned wood I will mess with the cat.

I want to thank you all for the help and advice. You all are great!!

I don’t have a trim ring as you describe it. Is there an online store I can purchase it at? Or should I contact a dealer?
Thanks so much for your input and knowledge.
Your pictures show a missing trim ring. PM me your address and I'll get one in the mail to you.

A
A shorter probe may register lower temps..not sure how the probe is situated with regard to the face of the cat in that stove. Maybe BK guys can enlighten us..
Nd this gauges are not worth much as far as accuracy! We find them to be off u p to 300F.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have tons of wood and several nice red oaks down in my back yard from storm damage. Hopefully by next year I will be good to go.
Red Oak is one of the slowest-drying species. Split (not too big) and stack it now, top-cover and try it in 2 yrs....3 yrs. is when it gets really good. What you need to do now for next season is get soft Maple and split and stack top-covered...that will be ready by next season if you get on it now. Or if you have access to a woodlot, get dead standing small trees, 6-8" max, with all the bark fallen off. That should be almost ready to go, with the possible exception of Oak and Dogwood.

Oh wow. That explains why the wood I assumed was dry is still in the mid 20’s. I have some big yellow poplars down as well. Would they be suitable next if split small and stacked now?

Oh wow. That explains why the wood I assumed was dry is still in the mid 20’s. I have some big yellow poplars down as well. Would they be suitable next if split small and stacked now?

Yes. Poplar should season enough over 1 full summer to burn.

The trim ring “closes” the gap between the outer can and where the steel flue collar protrudes through the can. I think it’s about 1” in diameter. There is a cavity all around the firebox, encased by the outer can. This is where air is heated and moved by fans into the room.

If debris from the masonry chimney fell down on top of the firebox, dropped into that opening, it could lay in the bottom of the can. Then burning stove could get it hot and blowers come on, out it comes. It’s a long shot, but so is the situation you’re having.

This could happen because when it was installed and “if” a liner was connected, they did not reattach trim ring. The trim ring is installed at the factory, but who knows, it could have been removed.
This is the most plausible explanation I think. It would be pretty easy for some debris to make its way into that gap. If the blower were to produce a spark it’s unlikely it would make its way around the jacket and out of the top, not to mention you’d have a tripped breaker. At least we’d all hope so...

This is the most plausible explanation I think. It would be pretty easy for some debris to make its way into that gap. If the blower were to produce a spark it’s unlikely it would make its way around the jacket and out of the top, not to mention you’d have a tripped breaker. At least we’d all hope so...

Your correct. This was the case. There was a lot of dust/lint in there. I blew it out and thoroughly cleaned the blower housing and running great now. Just for fun I pretty much ran everyone out of the house!!!
I ran the fan only on my HVAC and had it in the 70’s in every room and it was about 35 outside

Your correct. This was the case. There was a lot of dust/lint in there. I blew it out and thoroughly cleaned the blower housing and running great now. Just for fun I pretty much ran everyone out of the house!!!
I ran the fan only on my HVAC and had it in the 70’s in every room and it was about 35 outside
Not bad, but you can do better than that!

I’d like to go back two pages to that shorter cat probe. Is it possible it’s not completely protruding thru the refractory, and that Venturi action is sweeping embers up out of the stove thru the cat probe hole, when the blowers are run?

I’d like to go back two pages to that shorter cat probe. Is it possible it’s not completely protruding thru the refractory, and that Venturi action is sweeping embers up out of the stove thru the cat probe hole, when the blowers are run?

The problem has ceased since then so I’m thinking not. But upon BKVP’s advice I’m gonna get a BK probe to be safe. The only thing I don’t like is that the BK probe doesn’t show actual temps. That’s why I got the candor probe. I’m new to cat stoves so I’m learning still.
Thanks for your help. I’m really impressed how much feedback I’ve gotten on here. Really a great asset.

The problem has ceased since then so I’m thinking not. But upon BKVP’s advice I’m gonna get a BK probe to be safe. The only thing I don’t like is that the BK probe doesn’t show actual temps. That’s why I got the candor probe. I’m new to cat stoves so I’m learning still.
Thanks for your help. I’m really impressed how much feedback I’ve gotten on here. Really a great asset.
no need for temps on the cat probe, just keep the cat in the active range and use your t-stat for your heat output, this is why wood below 18% moisture content is so important to use with these stoves, you can literally smolder a full load of wood (it will take 24 - 30hrs) but the heat coming off the cat will keep the stove burning clean, although a low heat output.

no need for temps on the cat probe, just keep the cat in the active range and use your t-stat for your heat output, this is why wood below 18% moisture content is so important to use with these stoves, you can literally smolder a full load of wood (it will take 24 - 30hrs) but the heat coming off the cat will keep the stove burning clean, although a low heat output.

So if my wood is marginal, what behavior in the cat will indicate that it isn’t working effectively? Just that it never gets up to temp? Early today I engaged it and the temp began to drop after about 30 min.

So I just gathered some of my driest splits.
Loaded the stove and got it to about 550 and engaged the cat. I now can see it glowing. I then turned the thermostat down to about 70%. It has since then got up to about 650 and held steady for about 20 min now and is still glowing.

Should it have gotten hotter by now? Again the wood is marginal but I’m really wanting to see this cat in action.

Loaded the stove and got it to about 550 and engaged the cat. I now can see it glowing.

If the cat is glowing, its really going to town on the smoke, don't worry about what temp the cat probe is at.

I have some big yellow poplars down as well. Would they be suitable next if split small and stacked now?
It's a low-output wood but yes it will be dry pretty quickly. That stuff you can split a bit bigger, so it won't burn up quite as fast.
If the cat is glowing, its really going to town on the smoke, don't worry about what temp the cat probe is at.
Right. As I said, could be that the probe is too far away from the face of the cat. If it's glowing it's gotta be 1000 at least, I would think.

It's a low-output wood but yes it will be dry pretty quickly. That stuff you can split a bit bigger, so it won't burn up quite as fast.
Right. As I said, could be that the probe is too far away from the face of the cat. If it's glowing it's gotta be 1000 at least, I would think.

We are good to go! I read in the manual to turn the fan off for 10 min to get an accurate reading. So I did and we are a little over 1000. The thermostat is set to low and there are just a few flames now. Looking forward to seeing how long she will burn.

I have some big yellow poplars down as well

Get it split and stacked ASAP.
Also ,check a fresh split at room temperature with a moisture meter while splitting. I took down a dead poplar in my yard that was at 18% when it hit the ground a couple of years ago.

We are good to go! I read in the manual to turn the fan off for 10 min to get an accurate reading. So I did and we are a little over 1000. The thermostat is set to low and there are just a few flames now. Looking forward to seeing how long she will burn.
Love a happy ending. I hope this is the beginning of a great friendship. Looks like you scored very well.

Reactions: JEinSC
Love a happy ending. I hope this is the beginning of a great friendship. Looks like you scored very well.

Begreen, your advise is much appreciated. This cat stove is soooo different. But I’m super excited use such a well crafted appliance. Without you all helping I’m certain it would have taken a long time to figure what I did in one day!
My wife couldn’t believe the support I received.
You guys are awesome!

So if my wood is marginal, what behavior in the cat will indicate that it isn’t working effectively? Just that it never gets up to temp? Early today I engaged it and the temp began to drop after about 30 min.
Extreme case, it just won't light off. That's rare, though.

More often, we see folks complaining it drops out of active range, when t'stat is turned down. It takes dry wood to keep cat temp up, with minimal fuel to it (i.e. low burn rate).

Reactions: JEinSC
Also keep in mind just because your cat isnt glowing does not mean its not working. Mine ussually only glows when its running pretty hot. Also a new cat will run hot for a few months then calm down a bit.